Independence Day - How are you celebrating?

brentah

Reaction score
Was just curious how everybody celebrates and how you will incorporate your Benny into your 4th of July plans.

Do you decorate your Benny with flags, banners, etc?  You got some special foods, snacks and drinks you are taking out?  Maybe you an share a favorite recipe.  If left up to me, I will be taking out Bubba Burgers and Bud Light Lime...LOL

We will be beaching our pontoon  on Bird Island right adjacent to Castillo De San Marcos in St Augustine Bay with other local boaters.  There is something special about celebrating Independence Day in the nation's oldest city as you sit in the water adjacent to the fort.  Enjoy and this is wishing all of you a very happy and safe 4th of July weekend!

Nice pics Brentah..............The fort kind of reminds me of Fort McHenry in Baltimore..........haven't really decided what we're doing on the 4th. We usually go to an all day party in Maryland that culminates in fireworks over the Chesapeake Bay............we might stay close to home and go to the lake. But it's always a madhouse on the 4th.............

We won't be able to even get to our boat! It's on the Mississippi River...yeah, THAT Mississippi River where the FLOODING has been happening (intersection of MN, IA & WI)!  Looks like chocolate milk! Luckily the marina is in a little cove with a dike protecting it from the main channel (so floating trees won't hit it! ha ha) and the dock is a floating style so the boat is rising with the river! Our problem is getting to the dock! Parking lot is flooded and we'd have to swim! Not really interested in that, so, we'll be thinking about our toon while watching fireworks on dry land (keep on thinkin' "this too shall pass")

pittsburgh_fireworks.jpg

Family, friends and Benny at The Lake with BBQ, Games, Boating, Swimming and Camp Fire,

Marshmallow and Hot Dogs over the camp fire, smores, kids catching lightning bugs

Lake's Huge Fireworks Display with Community Picnic, running around lake roads on Golf Cart

Star Gazing after midnight on night time cruise , flash light tag for the kids.

Enjoying The Summer of 2014

Perfect Weather Low Humidity Cool 77F

Here at The Lake for the FOURTH

Have A Safe and Enjoyable Independence Day

Animated-Waving-American-Flag-.gif

peacesign3_an.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Just plan on floating around as many days as possible. 2 days to go till 10 off !! Woohoo !!

Pulling the toon 10 hours, 2 hour ferry ride, 1 hr drive on the island.  1 week with 16 family members in a camp that Jill's family has been going to for 68 continuous years. Now our grandson is coming for the first time. :D    

Going to Catalina Island. Still waiting for the bennington to be built, so it has nothing to do with the toon. Will be taking a rather large boat back and over. Have family on the Island and this is where we do the July 4th.

Cheers, Steve

Not going up north this time. Hanging around home with some friends and boating!!

For some reason our town holds Fourth of July events and fireworks on the 3rd each year. We live right on the park so our friends are having a BBQ and we will watch from their yard. For the actual holiday we are going out with some friends of our who own 48' coursair boat. The Queen Mary, which is docked in Long Beach, puts on a pretty good show which looks even better from the water. Good times!

We won't be able to even get to our boat! It's on the Mississippi River...yeah, THAT Mississippi River where the FLOODING has been happening (intersection of MN, IA & WI)!  Looks like chocolate milk! Luckily the marina is in a little cove with a dike protecting it from the main channel (so floating trees won't hit it! ha ha) and the dock is a floating style so the boat is rising with the river! Our problem is getting to the dock! Parking lot is flooded and we'd have to swim! Not really interested in that, so, we'll be thinking about our toon while watching fireworks on dry land (keep on thinkin' "this too shall pass")
Ugh! Guess you won't be passing through our neck of the woods for a couple of weeks :(

Our lakes are up about 1 foot, I can't get under the bridges to get to Lake Mendota.

We did get out for the big fireworks show on the lake last Saturday. Beautiful night! We'll also be out relaxing on the lake Friday and Saturday.

Ugh! Guess you won't be passing through our neck of the woods for a couple of weeks :(

Our lakes are up about 1 foot, I can't get under the bridges to get to Lake Mendota.

We did get out for the big fireworks show on the lake last Saturday. Beautiful night! We'll also be out relaxing on the lake Friday and Saturday.
River forecast shows levels waning starting on the 5th. We'll need it to get about 2' lower but we're optimistic. Probably a week or two. It's been a wierd year, that's for sure! Our cabin overlooks the main channel and De Soto Bay, which is a fishing hot spot. Barely any fishing boats being seen all season, so it's been odd without anglers surrounding those wing dams! People can't launch or they can't get under the bridges (or, like us, they have boats parked in the marina but too deep to wade out to them!). Fishing reports have been poor anyways, I guess you have to make it to the sloughs for any kind of luck and that's barely happening. Even the guides are getting skunked and heading inland for trout fishing on creeks or lakes with accessibility! Soon! Soon! : )

(BTW, love your photo's of the lakes in Madison! So neat to see that perspective! Post more if you get any over the holiday!)

Happy Independence Day to all

Doing nothing on the 4th, other than getting ready to fly back to Iowa and then driving up to Pierre, SD with three buddies to fish for some Walleyes.

We are in for much cooler weather than anticipated here

High Temp on the 4th to be 74F the low 49F

This may be the coolest temps in recent years for the fourth

Boating at night with a coat or blanket (lol)

Hi_PGH_34114290_PGH-077.jpg

Market Square Pittsburgh

Pittsburg;

Are you the photographer for all these pictures?

We're cooler also---50F and 72F---and we never go anywhere on a holiday. Too many people, too much traffic, all competing for the same area. Tomorrow we'll go across town to our church at Junaluska Assembly (world HQ for the Methodist Church) and watch fireworks over Lake Junaluska after a picnic dinner. As for boating, I was out on the boat for 3 days and nights last week, and will do the same next week. After the 4th weekend the lake will be deserted.

no just the Lake Shots are all mine

The city shots are not all mine

The one above is from the Fairmont Hotel Website

I post the city shots to let people know what the New Pittsburgh looks like

You would be shocked at how many people think the city is still a smokey industrial city.

About 25% of city shots are mine from an area called Mt Washington

Wish I could claim all of them but then I would have no time to boat (lol)

29832753.jpg

Supposed to be at lake already but woke with this nasty bronchial infection with 102 degree fever. My luck this year has been down right awful

Very nice video of the 4th here in South Carolina (Lake Greenwood), shot using a remote control quad-copter.

Steve

Back