Information on ski pylon tow rating and any concerns pulling a tube

dmctruby

Reaction score
I have not been able to find any information in the owners manual regarding the ski pylon on my 2250. I was planning on pulling a 3 person tube and then someone asked me if the pylon was rated/designed to pull tubes. I presumed it was and is not limited to water skiing but not I am doubting myself as I know a large tube will put allot of stress on the tower pole.

I just found a post in another thread here that said Bennington indicated it was ok to pull a tube with the pylon , and the response was give by a Bennington rep here. So I think I am good. Moderators you can delete this post if it poses a duplication.

I just found a post in another thread here that said Bennington indicated it was ok to pull a tube with the pylon , and the response was give by a Bennington rep here. So I think I am good. Moderators you can delete this post if it poses a duplication.

I was told by my dealer that the ski pylon would not be covered under warranty if pulling a tube. I also saw in another thread ( can't remember which one ) in this forum where team Bennington also replied that the ski pylon is not to be used to pull tubes. The problem is that when a tube does not have a rider, they tend to submarine which puts to much stress on the pylon. I have personally had this happen when someone fell off the tube. I use the the loop holes on the back of the pontoons.

Hope this helps

I was the one who asked that question many months ago and Team Bennington (and my dealer) said it is okay to pull a tube with the ski tow pylon. They said if it were to bend or break it would be covered under warranty. The original question and answers should be dated back in Feb/Mar sometime.

I was the one who asked that question many months ago and Team Bennington (and my dealer) said it is okay to pull a tube with the ski tow pylon. They said if it were to bend or break it would be covered under warranty. The original question and answers should be dated back in Feb/Mar sometime.
I stand corrected....the following was Team Bennington's answer to my question:

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

Hello skeptic. We try not to jump into the Club Bennington banter, simply monitor it. However, we will try to address your questions for the good of all!

Bennington offers ski tow bars and ski pylons, depending on the stern configuration. Both tubing and skiing are fine with our tow bars and pylons, and as you can see from our website, multiple tubes are fine, too. HOWEVER, you should never haul an empty tube. Inertia, an empty tube and high horsepower can cause a ski tow to bend. If the tube is big and flat, it may get dug below the water, which will act as a sea anchor while the boat is at speed, usually in a turn. You'll certainly feel the boat decelerate. If you pull off the throttle quickly, the pylon or bar will be fine. If your pylon or bar becomes bent so it is unusable, Bennington typically replaces them free of charge. (Always depends on the circumstances!)

DO NOT pull parasails or other boats with a ski tow bar or pylon!

You can see the original posts with the subject name..."Don't Be Shy" by Team Bennington.

Thanks

I stand corrected. The thread I was refering to is 6 post down "how to carry large tube 66x60. There the Bennington Team stated "never pull a empty tube due to the submarining issue. My dealer had me sign a form stating that the warranty for the ski pylon would not be covered if pulling a tube.. I think I will stay on the safe side and use the holes at back of pontoon as I have had a person fall off tube and it submarine. When this happens, it is a HUGE strain. Sorry if I caused any confusion. I was going off what my dealer had informed me.

I towed a very large tube today for 5 hours with the pylon. I never towed with the tube empty. Yes the tube will dive under with no riders. The multi rider tube I am using is very stable. It makes a great tube for those looking for a fun ride that is stable and nearly impossible to roll or throw a tuber. I did have one person bounced off, but that was because they lost grip on the handles and with no handhold it is easy to get throw off. I can't imagine towing this 4 person tube with the lower transom mounts. The pylon ALWAYS kept the tube front up and the line out of the water. It worked like a charm. As long as you do not tow the tube empty I think you will be fine. If a person falls off you would immediatley be off the gas anyway. I am a pretty reserved person and not prone to taking risk with the boat or passengers and I feel using the pylon is very save as long as your attentive.

I've been pulling a 3 person Chariot tube all day with my ski pylon and not a problem, even with 3 adults. The ski pylon works awesome and keeps the rope out of the water at all times, which is very nice so the spray isn't going into the kids eyes on the tube. The 3 person Chriot tube is huge too!

So for documentation, the answer is: You can use the pylon to tow a tube when you have rider/s on the tube. You should never tow an empty tube due to the danger of the tube being pulled under water thus causing strain and possible damage to the boat and or tow point. If when towing a person falls off stopping as quickly as possible is important for the riders safety as well as boat safety. Use caution tubing and taking high speed turns as that is the most common spot for a rider to fall off (vs straight line tracking) and the tube to potentially dive under. Buy a good pump which inflates as well as deflates tubes so tubes not in use can be brought onboard. Do not leave the tow rope attached to the tube or tow point stored onboard when not in use because any accidental loss of the tube overboard will pull the line off the boat with it, causing potential harm to people or property.

Back