Installing 4 Channel Amplifier

McZiggy

Reaction score
Has anybody had experience installing an aftermarket amplifier to our boats?  I've done countless full car audio installations, and another Bennington (Deck Boat), but no other pontoons.  I would love to avoid having to run 8 or 4 gauge power wire under the deck as the wave tamer is in the way.  Has anybody tapped into the existing power and ground wires in the helm?  The amp I currently have isn't a crazy powerful thing, 50-60 rms x4 @ 4 ohms.  I'm not concerned about the amplifier not getting enough power, or producing 100% of what it is capable of, just want to make sure I won't have issues with melting wires.  I emailed Bennington and Mandy sent back my wiring diagram, and didn't say I couldn't do it.

Thanks!

Chris

I ran 1/0 gauge through split loom, so really can't help here. sorry. I don't think I would try to run it off of factory power wire, but really the deck is running that for output as well, so it might be ok.

I personally would never tie an amp into anything but direct to battery or a separate dedicated distribution block from battery. Just my 2 cents ...

+1 on Semperfi's advice

I figured as much. If I do it this way, I'll be able to upgrade amplifiers much easier down the road. Just not sure how to run the power wire between the wave shield and the deck.

Drop the shield?

It is pop riveted.

I used a "fishtape".

It is pop riveted.
Drill out rivets, run some flexible conduit (in case there's a next time) and rivet it back on. Not hard.

Why not just use loom and insulated clamps and run it up under the outer edge where led light strips are mounted? No one will see it anyhow.

I like both goldnrod's and Semperfi's  suggestions.

Chris would you consider sending me the wiring diagram? We just bought a 2015 21 SLX and this might be handy in the future.

Brian

Chris would you consider sending me the wiring diagram? We just bought a 2015 21 SLX and this might be handy in the future.

Brian
PM Sent.

According to the Bennington electrical schematic {#4067} the power to the console is backed up by either a 30 amp circuit breaker, or a 30 amp fuse if you have the distribution panel option.  Not sure what your amps current draw is but if it draws too much, on top of the currently installed lights and accessories, the 30 amp OCPD should open.

I'm in the same position trying to figure out how to get a larger pair of #4 conductors from the battery distribution panel to the console without taking the boat out of the water.

30 amps is not that much when comes to any type of auxiliary amplifier. Every amp will have its peak load listed. Last thing you want is to be cruising along on a crowded channel, dock, sandbar and poof no power to helm-engine.

Fish tape was really easy or go with drilling and rerivet

30 amps is not that much when comes to any type of auxiliary amplifier. Every amp will have its peak load listed. Last thing you want is to be cruising along on a crowded channel, dock, sandbar and poof no power to helm-engine.

Fish tape was really easy or go with drilling and rerivet
Let's hope that if McZiggy does this someone tests it at the dock first.  :D

Let's hope that if McZiggy does this someone tests it at the dock first.  :D
When I do this upgrade it will be the correct way.  The only hold up is the $80 in power wire and finding something almost 10 feet long to fish the wire from one side of the boat to the other.  I have a spot in the garage at my dealership the boat will stay parked over the winter.  Perfect time to do the install when I get a little extra momma don't know money.  This new "toy" cost enough already this year!

When I do this upgrade it will be the correct way.  The only hold up is the $80 in power wire and finding something almost 10 feet long to fish the wire from one side of the boat to the other.  I have a spot in the garage at my dealership the boat will stay parked over the winter.  Perfect time to do the install when I get a little extra momma don't know money.  This new "toy" cost enough already this year!
Check out local welding supply houses for cable.

Harbor Freight has a $10 fiberglass MULTI piece wire-fish kit. http://t.harborfreight.com/3-16-inch-x-33-ft-fiberglass-wire-running-kit-65326.html

Back