Ipod usb jack not charge Ipad air

CTays

Reaction score
Want to see if anyone else has this issue. My Ipad air will not charge when pluged into the usb jack on the dash. The radio will work the ipad remotely and play the music. It has no problem recongnizing the Ipad air is connected. I can plug a regular phone into the usb jack with a cord and it will charge. I am using an apple cord and even tried a griffin cord cut it still will not charge. I am beginning to think it is just not compatiable with the Sony head unit. Any ideas or anyone having same issue.

Try using an Apple charger in the power outlet.

That works fine. I was just trying to get the charging and remote access on the same cord. That way I would have the 12v outlet to charge other devices if needed.  Thanks for reply

My wifes I-stuff will not charge on certain things. Never a problem with my Android stuff.

Some devices (not just Apple stuff) require more power than a standard USB port puts out. I use one of these in my 12v socket. It will also charge many types of phones faster than a standard USB port. http://amzn.to/1gyAe2c

Is it charging at all? The usb port is probably a very low amp rating (USB2.0) and the newer ipads use a higher watt charger. If you have the screen on, it's possible it's consuming as much as it's charging. On my home wall charger, my ipad 2 will charge in a couple hours, where as my ipad air takes 4-5 hours to completely charge (with them off). I know if I'm using the ipad while charging, the charging time goes up dramatically.

Here's a good read on charging    http://ipadpilotnews.com/2014/01/charging-your-ipad-tips-air-mini/

It does not show charging at all and after a long day it will run down. I do have the screen on all of the time with the Navionics app on. I will try turning the screen off and see if it is getting any power at all. My cord is an apple certified and I have tried others still with no luck. The dealer suggested trying to plug into the back of the radio and eliminating the extension that comes up to the dash. I have not tried yet. I suspected a lower voltage due to the fact that it comunicates with the ipad fine playing and controlling music.

Hmmm.. My USB will charge every Apple product I have.  5s, 6, 6s, and kids Ipads.  Strange...  Boat is 2011 RCW 2275 with Sony M6 ( I think) radio head.

Same Radio as mine. It does fine on all of the iphones all the way through 6 it will just not charge the Ipad air. I can hook the charger into the 12v jack with the ipad air car charger and it does fine. May be a mystery I never solve.

Thanks Havasu. Interesting read. I have found that if I only play the music with the screen off and the battery fully charged it will maintain the charge. If I use the Navionics App with the screen on while driving the battery will discharge. I also know that a powered USB hub will not allow me to control the Ipad with the Sony radio controls. So I have started only using the Navionics when necessary and keeping my screen off when possible. This has extended my use and made the Ipad much more usuable. The Sony USB port is a low power port and will not put out enough wattage to keep the screen on and charge the larger battery in the Ipad. Thanks to everyone and hopefully this may help others.

Why not just get a charger for your 12v port and leave it on and charged all the time? Like the one I linked to above (http://amzn.to/1gyAe2c). I have my navionics running full time and my ipad stays at 100%. 

I have used it that way before especially if I am on the lake all day. It would just be nice to have the ability of one cable to charge and provide music to stereo with radio remote control capability.

If you connect the iPad to the stereo via Bluetooth and power it through the 12v port, you're still only one cable. But I agree, it's stupid they don't give that port more juice. 

I have the upgraded speakers but the standard Sony head unit without the blue tooth. If I ever upgrade I will definitely add blue tooth but unfortunately I don't have that option. It works very well shuting the screen off when I am not moving or don't really need the Navionics. I use it more for speed monitoring when tubing than anything else. We do venture in to unknown parts of the lake up in the Kentucky area occasionaly and need it. I also use it during our night trips just to keep my bearings. I have been told the new Ipad Air 2 require less power and will work. It is a slight inconvienance but it is an acceptable work around. The USB will maintain the charge while playing music. I just have to remember to give it a full charge when we plan a day of riding. With fall around the corner we will be riding more than swiming and tubing so keeping it fully charged before the trip will be a priority. Thanks for all of the suggestions and help.

Back