Is it really worth it

SEMPERFI8387

Reaction score
So we put a deposit down on a 2013 20SLX for spring delivery. We are now second guessing ourselves on whether we should step up to a 24' SLX.

The dealer is working up the numbers, but does anyone have a "rough" idea of the price difference. When I build a boat on Bennington web-site, it is a HUGE spread....much more than I really want to pay. I can uderstand around a 4-5K spread based on a per foot comparison, but the build a boat puts it at a $11k spread. :blink:

I am on a 20HP restricted lake, so the power options are not a concern. :D

Thanks !!

Smitty

Last edited by a moderator:
So we put a deposit down on a 2013 20SLX for spring delivery. We are now second guessing ourselves on whether we should step up to a 24' SLX.

The dealer is working up the numbers, but does anyone have a "rough" idea of the price difference. When I build a boat on Bennington web-site, it is a HUGE spread....much more than I really want to pay. I can uderstand around a 4-5K spread based on a per foot comparison, but the build a boat puts it at a $11k spread. :blink:

I am on a 20HP restricted lake, so the power options are not a concern. :D

Thanks !!

Smitty
Four foot-itis? I can't help with cost differences, but if you don't like the dealer's numbers you can always play the 'boat show' card. Just say a friend got one a big discount at a boat show, and you might wait since you are looking at spring delivery anyway. As far as deciding between two boats at different price points goes, only you can justify the relative worth of the two boats and what works best for you. Having said that, it might be a real good idea to go to a dealer that has both on the floor, and spend some time on each to get a feel for the differences. I know things are a lot different out on the water, versus inside a showroom, but because performance is out the window due to lake restrictions you are able to limit your focus to seating, storage and any additional features and decide from there.

Four foot-itis? I can't help with cost differences, but if you don't like the dealer's numbers you can always play the 'boat show' card. Just say a friend got one a big discount at a boat show, and you might wait since you are looking at spring delivery anyway. As far as deciding between two boats at different price points goes, only you can justify the relative worth of the two boats and what works best for you. Having said that, it might be a real good idea to go to a dealer that has both on the floor, and spend some time on each to get a feel for the differences. I know things are a lot different out on the water, versus inside a showroom, but because performance is out the window due to lake restrictions you are able to limit your focus to seating, storage and any additional features and decide from there.
Yeah, we've been on both sizes at our dealer, and we REALLY like our dealer, I just wanted to get a rough idea to see if their price is in line with what others have paid. :D

We are going from a 6x12 deck size GillGetter, so the 20' (8'6" x 19' deck)seems huge to us, but if the cost justifies it, I have no problem going to the 24'. It's kind of like the motor philosophy...you never have "too much" power, so I figure I can never have "too much" space.....I haven't even addressed the extended stern option yet !!!! :lol:

Plus we are thinking about cruising the ICW in a couple years, so the added space would be nice to have.

I picked up my 2012 24' SF in August of last year at that time I was also looking at a 20' the dealer told me to stop looking at a 20' because he could sell me a 24' for about the same price.

I didnt find out the price difference but the seating layout was better in the 24' than the 20'

my 24' the deck is 22' long without the extended platform, overall i'm pleased I went with the 24'

I picked up my 2012 24' SF in August of last year at that time I was also looking at a 20' the dealer told me to stop looking at a 20' because he could sell me a 24' for about the same price.

I didnt find out the price difference but the seating layout was better in the 24' than the 20'

my 24' the deck is 22' long without the extended platform, overall i'm pleased I went with the 24'
That's what I'm hoping for, but the Build A Boat ain't showing it that way. :angry:

Sent you a pm !!!

Thanks

Smitty

If the price difference is reasonable, definitely go 24'. Our first pontoon (non-Bennington) was 20' LOA. The extra 4 feet is definitely worth it.

Now all we need to do is figure out how to make 120" legally trailerable! I'd by a 28' x 10' with twin 200hp SHO's in a heartbeat. :)

I went from a 20sl to a 2275rlcp (24ft) two weeks ago. We boat on a big lake, winnipesaukee in nh, and can see some rough water. The 20 would get water coming over the bow at times. The new boat is a tritoon, and handles major chop with ease. A little intimidating at first, but now I really appreciate how it handles.

quote name='SEMPERFI8387' timestamp='1344546290' post='12014']

That's what I'm hoping for, but the Build A Boat ain't showing it that way. :angry:

Sent you a pm !!!

Thanks

Smitty

I almost have the wife talked into a Bronze 24SSLX they have sitting on lot. She's not fond of Bronze, nor carpet, but for the price I can't beat it !!! We'll see in next day or so. If they would honor the 24SSLX sale pricing, I'll order one of those right now !!!!

If the price difference is reasonable, definitely go 24'. Our first pontoon (non-Bennington) was 20' LOA. The extra 4 feet is definitely worth it.

Now all we need to do is figure out how to make 120" legally trailerable! I'd by a 28' x 10' with twin 200hp SHO's in a heartbeat. :)
You can always pay the State for an oversize permit to make 10' loads legal. You might have to put a sign on your front bumper--no big deal.

I almost have the wife talked into a Bronze 22SSLX they have sitting on lot. She's not fond of Bronze, nor carpet, but for the price I can't beat it !!! We'll see in next day or so. If they would honor the 24SSLX sale pricing, I'll order one of those right now !!!!
I have the 24' SSLX and love it. I cannot get over how much wider 6" makes vs my old 24' boat. The 24' SSLX has so much more room for people, and it runs very well with a 150 hp Yammie and a Reliance 15 pitch prop.

If the price comes within your budget range, definately go for the extra room. Unlike power (you can add a bigger engine later if you go to a different lake), you cannot add extra room.

Jack

Talked to the dealer, looks like I'm getting my loaded 24SLX. Price is where I "thought" it should be.

Might even have some money left over for some other options including the extended deck option ....... Where does it end ..... damn you Bennington :lol:

Going with:

2013 24' SLX--Color unknown at this point, waiting to see if any new colors

20HP Yamaha (Lake Restriction to 20 HP)

Java Interior Color

Battery Switch

All Vinyl Floor Upgrade

Solid Keels

Upgrade Teak Accent Steering Wheel

R Series Helm Chair

Privacy Enclosure Frame & Curtain

Stainless LED Dock Lights

2 Portable Cup Holders