Is this legal?

Ms. B. Havin

Reaction score
We're working on bringing an old Monark back to decent working order while we save for a new Bennington. Our current boat is a Sportcraft 16' center console and we cruise the NC intercoastal almost exclusively, usually anchoring less than 1/2 mile from ramp to play all day. This gets us on the water while we rebuild and save for a new boat. OK, you might ask why we're spending money on rebuild if we're saving for a new Benny. Easy answer... We know we want a pontoon, this old 24' Monark was free, new plywood free thru work hookup, vinyl flooring as well. As I already have 3 running motors, all this is costing me is the price of hardware, glue, new seat vinyl... Hope you get the reasoning. The Monark will get us on a pontoon on the water without much expense. The Sportcraft can be sold to help with new boat. Also rebuilding an 18' doublewide Jon over the winter to sell for profit come springtime. Enough background.
A friend gave me 2 orange life rings for our new old pontoon. Question is this... The intercoastal is tidal of course, with current. Would it be legal to tie the life rings to the boat with say a 25 or 30' rope and use them as float toys, with the rope controlling how far you could be carried by the current? Or illegal because it is actually a life saving device, thus causing others such as LEO to think there was an actual emergency? Sorry for longwindedness, just thought a little background was in order being a newbie here. Thanks

I don’t know the answer to your question, but wanted to “welcome you aboard”. Sounds like you have an industrious game plan for getting to your first Bennington. I hope you find this forum to be a wealth of knowledge, including someone else that knows more than me being able to answer your question.

Sorry can’t answer your question, perhaps you could call your local DNR or law enforcement. Welcome to the forum and you are making the right decision on saving for a Bennington.

Welcome to the forum Ms. B Havin! We have 6 "Throw pillows" onboard. They are considered a life saving device. We use them all the time to sit on and float/swim for hours while we are anchored. I don't see why your orange rings would be illegal

Welcome to the forum Ms. B Havin! We have 6 "Throw pillows" onboard. They are considered a life saving device. We use them all the time to sit on and float/swim for hours while we are anchored. I don't see why your orange rings would be illegal.

Just make sure when they're floating in the orange rings all around your empty boat and wave to the passers by . . . DON'T WAVE WITH BOTH HANDS or many boats will come to your "rescue."

Back