Is this normal on a new boat?

secarter6

Reaction score
I have a question about the open hole in the bottom of the center tube on the back, beneath the engine. (Attached picture)

Is that supposed to be like that or is there a cover or something missing? It looks like something could possibly puncture the plastic tank that is seen right inside the opening, besides it would be able to fill up with water and silt or what ever else happens to float into it. I realize that water will get into that cavity during normal operations, and will need an exit, but that leaves the tank pretty vulnerable.

Any input would be appreciated.

20190204_135122.jpg

Must be normal, same as mine.

Normal

I have one hole at the end of my...uh....toon as well.

Normal. That is the transom and you need away for water to exit.....

I don’t have a center tube, but I beleive others with the center tube and the hole that comes with it have created ways to put a grate there (don’t want dissimilar metals touching) to keep any rodents or other animals out. I think if you do a search on this forum you’ll find a conversation or two about that.

I used to have this aluminum plate that I made, welded over the hole since we had a muskrat do $2k worth of damage before we had our lift. Since the boat doesn't sit in the water, I removed it. You don't want to block that hope completely since the water needs to drain.

Back