Is this still covered by the 10 year bow to stern warranty?

DiamondDave952

Reaction score
I have a purchase agreement in place for a 2021 22 SSBX with Ultralegs (also known as SeaLegs). My question is this, if I purchase the ultra legs as part of my boat build and the Bennington dealer installs them, is the boat structure (where the legs are attached) still covered by the 10 year warranty?

I have a purchase agreement in place for a 2021 22 SSBX with Ultralegs (also known as SeaLegs). My question is this, if I purchase the ultra legs as part of my boat build and the Bennington dealer installs them, is the boat structure (where the legs are attached) still covered by the 10 year warranty?

For any pre-existing aspects of the boat structure - yes. The Ultralegs wont adversely impact any of your boat warranty. Your 10 year Bennington warranty will still cover all aspects of your boat structure, and pre-exising Bennington boat elements just as it would have originally.

As I am sure you already know, the ultra legs themselves wont get folded to that warranty; as they will be an after market add-on product. I had this same question in 2019 when we added Sea Legs onto our 2017. Bennington.

For any pre-existing aspects of the boat structure - yes. The Ultralegs wont adversely impact any of your boat warranty. Your 10 year Bennington warranty will still cover all aspects of your boat structure, and pre-exising Bennington boat elements just as it would have originally.

As I am sure you already know, the ultra legs themselves wont get folded to that warranty; as they will be an after market add-on product. I had this same question in 2019 when we added Sea Legs onto our 2017. Bennington.
@Vikingstaff I have a follow-up question regarding the dual battery switch... On your dual battery set-up for the Sea Legs, I am assuming that one battery is for starting the motor and the second battery is for the Sea Legs and accessories. Do you know if the second battery get charged while the motor is running? I just don't want to get into jam where I don't have enough juice to raise or lower my legs.

@Vikingstaff I have a follow-up question regarding the dual battery switch... On your dual battery set-up for the Sea Legs, I am assuming that one battery is for starting the motor and the second battery is for the Sea Legs and accessories. Do you know if the second battery get charged while the motor is running? I just don't want to get into jam where I don't have enough juice to raise or lower my legs.

You should never have that problem if you turn you perko battery switch to off at the end of each boating day and/or when not using the boat. The way the dual battery with the Perko switch works is you have the following settings on a dial switch: Off, bat #1, bat #1 + 2, bat #2.

Technically EVERYTHING is running off of whatever you set your switch too. Thus, your motor is not isolated to 1 battery, and everything else to another. For instance, if you turn your Perko battery dial to bat #1, everything runs off that. If you turn it to bat #2, everythting runs off that. And if you turn it o bat #1 + 2 combined, then everything draws from both batteries.

My Sea Legs are connected directly to battery 1. If I leave my switch in bat #1 or bat #1&2 position, it has a very slight draw. If I set it to off, or bat #2, no draw. Make sense?

Now the draw is so slight that I’d have to leave my switch to bat. #1, and have my boat sit dockside unused for 1-2 weeks to get it too low to activate my Sea Legs. And so long as I switch over to bat. #2, I can then have it draw from there still. Make sense?

Do a search in these forums on the dual battery and battery switch recommendations and you will see a few different approaches to dual battery management with Perko switches that will help.

I do the following based on dealer and this forum recommendations: Set both batteries to off whenever I and done boating for the day. When we do boat for the day AND I know we will drift or anchor without the motor running, I set my switch to EITHER battery 1 OR 2. The next day we boat, I switch it and use the other battery entirely. This approach means I ALWAYS have the other battery as a back to both start my motor and work my Sea Legs.

If I know we are out cruising or doing water sports the entire time and the motor will always be running I set my switch to battery 1 + 2. Either way, at the end of the day, I turn the switch to OFF for both batteries.

Last thing: even with the dual batteries set up there are a lot of members that recommend/encourage/carry a batttery pack jump starter on their boat. I don’t bother, but that is also an additional level of piece of mind as well that you could add into the mix.

Sorry its so long...I get too wordy.

Don't ever switch the batteries while the motor is running.

You should never have that problem if you turn you perko battery switch to off at the end of each boating day and/or when not using the boat. The way the dual battery with the Perko switch works is you have the following settings on a dial switch: Off, bat #1, bat #1 + 2, bat #2.

Technically EVERYTHING is running off of whatever you set your switch too. Thus, your motor is not isolated to 1 battery, and everything else to another. For instance, if you turn your Perko battery dial to bat #1, everything runs off that. If you turn it to bat #2, everythting runs off that. And if you turn it o bat #1 + 2 combined, then everything draws from both batteries.

My Sea Legs are connected directly to battery 1. If I leave my switch in bat #1 or bat #1&2 position, it has a very slight draw. If I set it to off, or bat #2, no draw. Make sense?

Now the draw is so slight that I’d have to leave my switch to bat. #1, and have my boat sit dockside unused for 1-2 weeks to get it too low to activate my Sea Legs. And so long as I switch over to bat. #2, I can then have it draw from there still. Make sense?

Do a search in these forums on the dual battery and battery switch recommendations and you will see a few different approaches to dual battery management with Perko switches that will help.

I do the following based on dealer and this forum recommendations: Set both batteries to off whenever I and done boating for the day. When we do boat for the day AND I know we will drift or anchor without the motor running, I set my switch to EITHER battery 1 OR 2. The next day we boat, I switch it and use the other battery entirely. This approach means I ALWAYS have the other battery as a back to both start my motor and work my Sea Legs.

If I know we are out cruising or doing water sports the entire time and the motor will always be running I set my switch to battery 1 + 2. Either way, at the end of the day, I turn the switch to OFF for both batteries.

Last thing: even with the dual batteries set up there are a lot of members that recommend/encourage/carry a batttery pack jump starter on their boat. I don’t bother, but that is also an additional level of piece of mind as well that you could add into the mix.

Sorry its so long...I get too wordy.
@Vikingstaff So if I understand it correctly, if I my Sea Legs and my motor are connected to battery#1, as I run the motor, battery #1 will get charged from the alternator leaving battery #2 fully charged as a back-up. If I need to use battery #2 for the motor and legs, then I better charge battery #1 as soon as I get back to shore because battery #1 wouldn't get charged from the alternator. Did I understand that correctly?

What causes the slight draw from your battery if you leave the boat dockside for 1-2 weeks? I just assumed when the motor and legs are not in use, that there wouldn't be any power draw.

Also, please help me understand how "battery #1 + battery #2" works. It's my understanding in this position that both batteries are being drawn upon at once. If I use battery #1 + battery #2 position on fully charged batteries, to start my motor or activate the legs, would I damage the motor electronic or any other electronic in general because of the extra voltage (24V now instead of 12V)?

Thanks for all your sharing your knowledge Vikingstaff. I am really new to this dual battery set-up and don't want to accidently blow-up anything.

@Vikingstaff So if I understand it correctly, if I my Sea Legs and my motor are connected to battery#1, as I run the motor, battery #1 will get charged from the alternator leaving battery #2 fully charged as a back-up. If I need to use battery #2 for the motor and legs, then I better charge battery #1 as soon as I get back to shore because battery #1 wouldn't get charged from the alternator. Did I understand that correctly?

What causes the slight draw from your battery if you leave the boat dockside for 1-2 weeks? I just assumed when the motor and legs are not in use, that there wouldn't be any power draw.

Also, please help me understand how "battery #1 + battery #2" works. It's my understanding in this position that both batteries are being drawn upon at once. If I use battery #1 + battery #2 position on fully charged batteries, to start my motor or activate the legs, would I damage the motor electronic or any other electronic in general because of the extra voltage (24V now instead of 12V)?

Thanks for all your sharing your knowledge Vikingstaff. I am really new to this dual battery set-up and don't want to accidently blow-up anything.

First, I cannot speak specifically to how Ultra-Legs will be hooked up electrically. Ultra Legs and Sea Legs work similarly, but they are two different products from two different companies. Thus, for your specific battery draw questions regarding Ultra-Legs, I encourage you to look up their number or email and contact them directly.

With the above said, now to your questions.

(1) Many electronics can create a slight draw on a battery, even when not in use. I spoke with Sea Legs directly about this matter. They verified there is an incredibly small draw on the battery they are connected to when not in use, and that then operation of them is a big draw. Keep in mind that when you are using your legs, your motor is not running so you are then not getting the benefit of the alternator recharging during use. Perhaps Ultra-Legs are different in this regard...? Anyway, with Sea Legs, it takes A LOT of time for that incredibly small drain to impact the battery. And of course so long as you turn the battery Perko switch to off, then NOTHING draws down the battery. With minimal attentiveness, this shouldn’t be a problem.

(2) Which ever battery(s) you have the Perko switched turned to gets the benefit of the alternator recharging that battery. That’s why many people suggest alternating which battery you use each time you go out. That way one battery is charged and in reserve, and the other is in use, but being recharged by the motor. IN theory, if you have it on battery 1 + 2, then both are being recharged by the alternator when the motor is running. Your only real concern with the battery is when you have motor off, but are running your electronics. Typically if someone runs into an issue here, they are docked, anchored, or tied off with their motor off, but their radio blasting all day long. That can eventually get the battery too low to start the motor.

(3) When the switch is turned to 1 + 2 I cannot tell you the technicalities of how it works. I have NO electronics background. My understanding is simply that it opens up both as a pathway to draw power from. There are no worries of damaging the motor or electronics in any way. It is in effect like just having double the battery power to draw from. That’s all.

As for worrying about blowing things up, or overvolting anything, you wont. The entire set up with two batteries and the Perko switch is to have access to 2 batteries worth of electricity without risk to any components, electronics, etc..

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Very much appreciated Vikingstaff.

Back