Just a bit of advice for those with in floor storage

Wild and Free

Reaction score
I have been finding it best to leave the in floor storage cover open when the boat is not in use with the cover on it. The cover doesn't keep all the elements out as we have had a unusually wet rainy year and I find that there tends to be moisture build up in the storage area and thats where i keep all my life jackets. The first time I pulled them out I was surprised to find them all covered in mold and all damp. So from now on I have been keeping the cover open to let the area vent a bit and it seems to help.

Just thought I would share this to prevent otheres from finding wet moldy items that may be stored below deck.

Nice tip WF. On my boat I have a sunpad so I keep all my lifejackets, towels etc. in there. No portapotti for me :lol: . I wonder if keeping a bucket of Damp Rid or a simil;ar product in there would also help. Of course you would have to keep it from spilling while underway.

Hey thanks for the tip Wild and Free. I will start doing that.

I have been finding it best to leave the in floor storage cover open when the boat is not in use with the cover on it. The cover doesn't keep all the elements out as we have had a unusually wet rainy year and I find that there tends to be moisture build up in the storage area and thats where i keep all my life jackets. The first time I pulled them out I was surprised to find them all covered in mold and all damp. So from now on I have been keeping the cover open to let the area vent a bit and it seems to help.

Just thought I would share this to prevent otheres from finding wet moldy items that may be stored below deck.
Had the same problem in with my in-floor storage. It's amazing how quick it dries out when you keep it open with the "playpen" cover on. I started doing the same thing with all the seats because it doesn't take much moisture to start mold growth in the storage areas under the seats. Keeping the seats open with the cover on eliminates the problem.

Had the same problem in with my in-floor storage. It's amazing how quick it dries out when you keep it open with the "playpen" cover on. I started doing the same thing with all the seats because it doesn't take much moisture to start mold growth in the storage areas under the seats. Keeping the seats open with the cover on eliminates the problem.
Surprisingly after 5 years of pontoon ownership I have to knock on wood that I have never had a moisture issue under any of my seats, they are always dry from what I have seen.

Great tip WF. My door gets opened this weekend.

I have snap-in carpet. I never leave the carpet over the vent slots in storage cover. I only use the floor storage when boat is being used. I have left smaller items in the floor pod by using Rubbermaid type of storage containers that seal pretty good. Put your goodies in the storage containers and place the containers in the pod.

Back