Just when you thought you heard it all...............

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Just had to relay an unfortunate story that happened to me at the our Marina on land gas pumps yesterday............

Perfect day! Or so we thought........We went into the the storage yard to hook up the boat trailer and load all of our gear for the day. On the way to the ramp is the gas pump. Figured I'd top it off. I pulled up to the pump put my credit card in and waited for the authorization and selected 87 octane. The hose was pretty much coiled up so I picked it up and was stretching the hose to put it in the gas tank filler neck. On my boat when it sits on the trailer the gas cap is approximately 7 ft. off the ground. Well when I straightened out the hose to put the nozzle in the hose burst into 2 pieces and gas was spraying all over the trailer, bottom of the boat, all over the 2 gas pumps, and ME! The first thing I thought of was to activate the emergency shut off. There wasn't one at the pump but found out later it was inside the marina office. Then I thought I'd shut off the pump itself, didn't work. Then I figured if this pump was going to catch fire or explode, my Bennington and Ford Expedition wasn't going to be in the area so I quickly moved it. By then other people and the employees in the Marina office saw what was going on and came to help...........Gas was all over the place. Marina employees quickly sprung into action and started the clean up............

Management theorized that the last person who used the pump ran over the hose and busted it or the hose could have been run over multiple times, weakened it and when I came along and used it............ it burst! Lucky me..............

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes. Bad but could have been worse. At least no one was standing around having a butt!!!

WOW! And you want us to ride with you in September? jk B) Well, I hope they didn't charge you for the gas. :D

It was kinda weird Lakebum.......I wasn't nervous or "scared" until I realized I couldn't shut the pump off and knowing I had gas all over me. (But I had my priorities straight when I got the boat and vehicle w/my mother in law in it out of there! HA!) Smokey Mountain, all it would have taken was 1 butt or a spark so yeah it could have been worse...............and Carl, sorry you're stuck w/me in September, brother!!!!!!!

Back