Keeping the Toons Looking Great

Thanks, Ray.  I know there's gonna be pain here <GROAN>. Will probably start the sanding next weekend.

Thanks, Ray.  I know there's gonna be pain here <GROAN>. Will probably start the sanding next weekend.

You have no idea.......

You have no idea.......

LOL.... :Yeah, I read kaydano's manual....

My process???

1) Buy a bunch of sh!t.

2) Buy some more sh!t.

3) Get up early and go outside

4) P!ss off the neighbors running grinder for 10 hours.

5) Swear a few times

6) Finally come inside after its getting dark and look in a mirror and see a white guy who is now a black guy.

7) Say "hi" to the wife and realize your voice sounds funny since your vocal cords are covered in black stuff.

8) Take three showers, the last using lanolin hand cleaner for shampoo and the kitchen scrub brush on your face.

9) Have lots of beer because your back hurts so bad you can barely stand up anyway.  Might as well drink heavily.

10) Go outside on second morning and realize you are not even done with the first pontoon.  Mutter "Jesus Christ there are THREE of them".

11) Bitch and cuss before you get started, just to get it out of the way early.

12) Use a mask this time so your not breathing tiny microscoping black aluminum particles.

13) Listen to neighbors crack funny jokes.  Tell them you are here all week and tip the waitresses.

14) Get grinder caught in the tricky spots because you did all the easy parts yesterday.

15) Guess how many times that will happen before you drop and break the grinder.

16) Start to tell yourself no one can see BOTH pontoons at the same time, so no one will know if you quit half way through.

17) Cuss out guys on forum that talked you into doing this (ha ha)

18) Put shark hide on.  Glue fingers together.

19) Use rubber gloves to put shark hide on.

20) Realize the "black" stuff magically appears when you put on shark hide

21) Make up some new swear words

22) Grind off all the shark hide and start over

23) Realize you are on day 3 after seeing same neighbors walking their dog for the sixth time

24) Swear you will never do this again.

25) Swear you will finish it this fall.

26) Realize you can't even see your pontoons when you are inside the boat.

27) Take photos for the forum from far enough away that no one can see what it REALLY looks like.

28) Take boat back to marina.

29) Throw grinder in fire pit.

30) Log in and tell Jared there's no way in hell you'll do his pontoons.

Last edited by a moderator:
After readings the posts about you two planning on doing all of this my back started hurting so I just now popped 800mg of Motrin....no I'm not kidding.  PTSD.....

After readings the posts about you two planning on doing all of this my back started hurting so I just now popped 800mg of Motrin....no I'm not kidding.  PTSD.....

Man, good thing I didn't highlight Step #9 LOL

9) Have lots of beer because your back hurts so bad you can barely stand up anyway.  Might as well drink heavily.

This is what scares me away from salt water and a pontoon. Sounds like it just eats them up. This all occurred even though the anodes were good?

Yes, always good zincs.  As explained to me, it's a problem that can occur as a result of some water slowly getting underneath the bottom paint, causing "flaking".  I still haven't crawled underneath yet to get a look at the magnitude of it on the strakes/foils, so can't comment on it with any accuracy.

I do know that the pontoons themselves all look good, with very minor pitting.

This is what scares me away from salt water and a pontoon. Sounds like it just eats them up. This all occurred even though the anodes were good?

There's many boats that see there whole service life in salt water. Ours stays on the lift 24/7/365 at Ocean City. Theres been no sharkhide or pittng of the pontoons. Anodes are the key! But I do feel for you tc, I never did like bottom paints, it sounds like it may actually work against the boat if not kept up all the time. But it is true that salt water is harsh on everything.                                                                                         

Back