Key on test / warning tone or buzzer?

Wild and Free

Reaction score
I seem to remember my 2007 2275 GL having a test tone at initial key on but my 2011 does not make any noise at initial key on.

Just wondering if it is suposed to have a key on test warning tone or buzzer or not? Would be nice to know what to listen for if there was an engine issue like an overheat ect. I had a water pump failure on the yammy 150 from river sand and the warning tone saved me on that one on the old 07.

On a side note from a preious thread about water in the tube I found out why my pump was so quiet............The factory didn't have the connection by the pump plugged in all the way. plugged it in and it makes enough noise for my half deaf ears to hear loud and clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should have some sort of key tone at start up. I know Johnson / Evinrudes go thru system check and you get a long beep with the system check guage doing bulb checks. My mercury does a self check audible alarm when I key up the ignition switch.

What motor do you have?

The engine is a 2007 Yamaha 150, listed in my signature as well.

The 2007 boat did beep at key on but not on the 2011. I have never heard a beep at all on this boat. Just wondering if it is supposed to, hate to melt down an engine because the buzzer doesn't work. :eek:

I'd have somebody look at that. My benny is a 2011 rcw with 2011 150hp merc pro xs anybody with a yammaha chirp in here?

I will poke my head under the console this weekend and see if I can find it, maybe they plugged it in the same as the bilge pump. :rolleyes:

I have a 200 SHO yamaha, hoping to get out tomorrow, will let you know if no one else has

Derrick

Well I just took some time and located the buzzer, it is mounted to the key switch and it is plugged in and not operating. I read the Yamaha manual and it is supposed to alarm at key on for a test. Time to contact dealer for some warranty work now.

I have a 2012 Yamaha 225hp with digital guages, throttle and shift. I have no beep or buzz when I first turn the switch on or before I start the motor. I had a 2008 Honda 225hp on my previous boat which sounded 3 beeps before you were to start the engine.

To hear the warning horn, pull the safety lanyard. When the key is turned to the start postion the horn will sound. The dealer covered this with me when I picked up my toon. Happy and safe boating.

Mine beeps when I turn on the key with the lanyard attached. Seems kinda dumb to have to turn on the key and then clip the lanyard.

To hear the warning horn, pull the safety lanyard. When the key is turned to the start postion the horn will sound. The dealer covered this with me when I picked up my toon. Happy and safe boating.
Thanks for the tip!, I just tried that and still no beep, also tried to turn key to start with unit on gear and still no beep. Just thinking I have a dead one. Will be calling the dealer in a few minutes when they open.

Update, just got back from the dealer and they did not know the answer either, they made the call that out of all the boats in the shop the Mercs beep but none of the Yamahas do at initial key on. :rolleyes:

But on a positive note I had a funny squeak coming from the lower unit and they found a dry driveshaft bearing that is not water cooled, they greased it up for me and did not charge me for that or for pressure checking the water pump pressure to make sure it was still going strong after 5 years in the sandy Missouri river. :)

My 2012 Yamaha F250 has NO key on warning.

Jack

Back