Kicker Sub and Simrad GPS

Steve

Reaction score
Took my new 22S Swingback out Saturday. Sorry no pictures yet.  

I have the Kicker Sub that is mounted under the helm. As with my last boat the sub vibrates the helm so bad that I might as well have saved the money and not got the upgrade. The dealer installed sound mat on my last boat that made a big improvement but I was never really able to crank the radio.  When I ordered this boat I asked that the sub not be under the helm but moved to one of the seat compartments as shown in a couple pictures on the build site. My dealer has offered to move it for me or put the sound mat in this boat. Before I move it does anyone have the sub under one of the seats and does it vibrate the seat real bad?

I have the Simrad system, does anyone know if that comes loaded with lakes or is there an extra cost to download the maps?  Should it be connected to the Yamaha DEC so the gauges on the Simrad work i.e. Tach and fuel flow?

Thanks

I have the Simrad system, does anyone know if that comes loaded with lakes or is there an extra cost to download the maps?  Should it be connected to the Yamaha DEC so the gauges on the Simrad work i.e. Tach and fuel flow?

Thanks

Simrad is not connected to the Yamaha DEC gauges. No tach or fuel flow.

You can connect the Simrad to the Yamaha via the NMEA2000 network (which you must install on your boat).  But doing so should give you yamaha info on the Simrad. 

Disclaimer - my boat is on order with this set up and I have not tested it.

when we are out in the boat, if I turn the radio up so I can hear it, my wife tells me to turn it down so she can talk to here friends.

when we stop, I turn on the friends and the same thing happens.

my next boat will have no radio, as I currently have because the last "marine grade" unit lasted 14 months. My goal will be to have to hole mounted devise exposed to rain because there is no universal sealant. Water intrusion is a constant problem.

Not sure how you could turn up the radio and not have the subwoofer vibration show up no matter where its mounted. ONe of the reasons it works is because its solidly mounted in an enclosed space. How bad is the radio if you just disconnect it?

Have standard gauges and 7" GPS (Garmin 741) so cant help you on the other thing. Would never buy a GPS from Bennington. Screens are all too small to be worth anything. Helm needs to be designed for surface mount 7-10" screens.

You can connect the Simrad to the Yamaha via the NMEA2000 network (which you must install on your boat).  But doing so should give you yamaha info on the Simrad. 

Disclaimer - my boat is on order with this set up and I have not tested it.

Did you prefer it that way or are you buying the NMEA2000 network connection separately. I didn't have the option when I ordered my boat last October. 

Did you prefer it that way or are you buying the NMEA2000 network connection separately. I didn't have the option when I ordered my boat last October. 

It does not come connected.

when we are out in the boat, if I turn the radio up so I can hear it, my wife tells me to turn it down so she can talk to here friends.

when we stop, I turn on the friends and the same thing happens.

my next boat will have no radio, as I currently have because the last "marine grade" unit lasted 14 months. My goal will be to have to hole mounted devise exposed to rain because there is no universal sealant. Water intrusion is a constant problem.

Not sure how you could turn up the radio and not have the subwoofer vibration show up no matter where its mounted. ONe of the reasons it works is because its solidly mounted in an enclosed space. How bad is the radio if you just disconnect it?

Have standard gauges and 7" GPS (Garmin 741) so cant help you on the other thing. Would never buy a GPS from Bennington. Screens are all too small to be worth anything. Helm needs to be designed for surface mount 7-10" screens.

Seems like some negativity there! :D I would check the levels ON the sub. I'm assuming the Kicker has the same adjustments as the Wet Sounds. Turn down your Bass Boost and find a happy medium between speaker volume / output and sub output so that one isn't overpowering the other. 

The only real possible rattle point is the helm door, so get some of that edge banding like Mr. G posted and / or some weatherstripping and I think that should eliminate a lot of rattle. I have the sub under my helm and really don't have any problems whatsoever. I also have 1000w of power to two 10's in my rear loungers and don't have much problem. Does the seat vibrate? Damn right it does!!!!  Haha kinda like a built in massager! 

As for Gaurdrail's radio problem, what are you doing to the radios that they keep getting wet? My first one on my GLi was dash mounted and never had a problem, just made sure to cover the boat always and kept the little cover closed if it happened to start raining while out on the boat. The last two R's have it under the helm, so if water gets to it there, I have a MUCH bigger problem than the radio not working!!!  Hehe

Back to Steve, as I said, check your output volumes on the sub and see if they are all cranked 

Derick beat me to it. But yes I agree. Try adding some rubber edge gaurd to the door edge. You can buy some sticky back rubber trim as a gasket so the door is not making plastic on plastic contact. 

As derick recommended check your sub output frequencys and levels. Even with a well damped boat if you have the levels off you gonna has some rattles from the box or sub itself. You have to have the skill set to tune or operate your stereo so your not running it in "distortion mode" and adjust it so you can get good sound with out rattles. Sometimes I get in a friends boat and the first thing I have to do is get rid of the rattles by Turning down the bass. 

Question; if you open up the door under the helm does the rattle go away? If the answer is yes then the door needs some dampening. If the rattles still exists I would look to tune your system.

It does rattle with the door open. I oredered some sound mats to put inside and will get the door molding and try that. I am also going to clean up all the wires hanging down with zip ties so it isn't such a mess in there. 

What kind of upsets me a little is I specifically asked to have the sub moved under one of the seats on the build sheet for this reason and it wasn't.  

Some may not want to spend the money on a sound system from the factory but considering I went through 2 speakers and a radio unit on my last 2014 Bennington, all covered under warranty, I wouldn't go any other way. I would bet I will have issues within the next 10 years with the stereo system and I won't have to pay for it, not because it's crappy equipment, because it's in an unfriendly environment for electronics. The sound system does sound awesome once the ratttling is gone. 

Thanks everyone for the sugestions and help. 

It's funny that our boat was built in 2006 and came with an Alpine (CDE-9842) radio with removable face. June 30th will be 11 years that we've had the boat and it still sounds great.

It's funny that our boat was built in 2006 and came with an Alpine (CDE-9842) radio with removable face. June 30th will be 11 years that we've had the boat and it still sounds great.

I had the same one for 10 years and never had one issue either.

You will have to see if the maps are preloaded. If they are, it will load automatically. If not, check your welcome pack to see if there's a sd adapter with a micro sd card. If not, you will have to purchase the Navionics maps of choice. It's fun trying to get that card into the bottom of the Simrad with it installed in helm. DON'T DROP IT!!  <_<  It would actually be easier to pop the surround off the unit, remove 4 screws, install card and reinstall unit. TRUST ME!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dealer is adding the NMEA2k. It was not an option direct from the factory.  But once installed, I should get all Yamaha data to the simrad.  

What motor are you connecting to?

A Yamaha F200XCADL digital electronic control 2.8L. 

It looks like a plug and play box system. 

Do you know if any sensors are needed to get the data or is the cable just hooked into the wiring harness. 

I bought a NMEA2000 starter kit here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BBFE98/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yamaha NMEA2000 Interface cable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012R2PHG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't installed the system because I have yet to tak delivery of my boat, but it looks quite easy, and this foming from a pipefitter!

This thread contains a lot of useful info regarding NMEA2000 installation, especially with regard tp connecting a multifunction device. Props to Jacob & Amanda

Hope this helps!

I bought some sound mat from amazon for $23 and the bass knob for $25 from Bestbuy and all of the helm rattleing is gone except for the door. I will put the door trim and see what happens  

The dealer is ordering the NMEA2K for me and said they will talk me through the install. He said  its easy. 

I just past the intitial 2 hour break in period and will post performance numbers next week. My numbers will be a bit slower because I have Ultra Legs (A much better version of Sea Legs). 

Back