Lake Cumberland Debris

Remediation

Reaction score
Lake Cumberland KY - White Oak Community Dock

This is what we saw when we launched the boat Sunday morning. The lake has been at 685 elevation for years to fix the dam. The repair is finished and the COE raised the lake 35'. All the stuff on the banks is now floating. We did not leave the boat at our slip. We hauled out at the end of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's nasty. Good call not leaving it there. With all that debris you could have come back to some dings and dents in the boat.

Yikes! I wouldn't have left my boat in either. I'm from Louisville and boated on Lake Cumberland a lot in my youth...makes me miss home!

That looks pretty bad. Do they come out and try to clean it up or do you fend for yourselves? Looks like lots of firewood. Around here we'd have pickups sitting everywhere and people scarfing that stuff up.

That's going to wreak havoc on all the go-fasts on that lake, of which there are many! Glad to hear after all the lean years the dam is fixed and the lake is back to normal pool. It'll be a tough year with this mess but I suppose eventually it will all settle out.

Rumor has it our lake is going to rise 5 ft over the next week... There is already a ton of debris, I hope it does not get that bad at my marina.... Wow!

There is a boat that the COE has that has a huge chipper on it. They used it last year to get what they could reach on shore. Now that they need it, it is on the shore have the hull repaired. Not good timing. Also with 1,200 miles of shoreline one boat is a gnat attacking an elephant.

When on the lake Sunday, we had to idle through 300 yards of debris that went shore to shore to get up White Oak Creek. Once past, it was clear water. There are scattered pockets of the debris fields. We could hear the bass boats flying up the lake and then idling past our house at a bend in the main channel, then back to speed. Night boating will be a challenge this year. It is great to have the Lake back up. The marinas have been hit hard since the water was down. One had to declare bankruptcy to survive and now they have the expense of moving all the docks back into position. It was neat to see the billboards in Cincinnati promoting Lake Cumberland.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back