Leak in tilt/trim hydraulic system for Yamaha F150? or not

tyjy

Reaction score
After getting boat out of storage and looking it over not sure if this is normal or a tell-tale sign of a leak or ? It's where the tilt/trim hydraulic system is (back by the motor; 2014 Yamaha F150). Looked a little wet on one edge, like there might be a leak, not dripping by any means, DH thinks if anything it's an "O" ring. Is this something to be concerned with? Just watch it or should we bring right to the dealer to check out? (He's 30 miles away so kinda inconvenient) (Noticed this before starting it or putting in water).

Thanks

Sorry I don't have an answer but I noticed the same thing on mine at the beginning of the yeah.

The question is "does your trim still work?"

I've run Yamaha's since 1985, and (come to think about it) I've never even added any fluid or had any power trim problem.  Therefore, I know nothing about a Yamaha power trim unit.

Had my two old inboard outboards been as trouble free as my 2 Yamaha's, I might still be running them.

Bamaman: yes, the trim IS working.

Re: adding fluid: when we were on our initial test drive I remember dealer saying we shouldn't have to touch that spot where you add the fluid, ie: why you probably never have had to do anything with the power trim all this time? hoping same for us : / !

If it where me, i would go ahead and run it, keeping a close watch for leaks.

Some may disagree with me here, but given the low winter temps in Wisc. seals and shaft could contract enough to cause a little seepage, and once warmed to spring temps, expand back to normal and not leak.

Wipe it off clean and see what it does during the summer.

...and turn the radio way up when operating! :D

Watch for a oil sheen around the motor when stopped.  Our trim cylinders were leaking on the I/O and that is how I noticed it.  

Back