Leaking Bimini Top

Phil Laux

Reaction score
I had a former Bennington Pontoon that was destroyed in an August storm in Northern Michigan a number of years ago. We were very satisfied with the boat so we replaced it with another Bennington 4 years ago and have been equally satisfied, except for the overheating problem with the 60 hp Mercury engine, but I had that fixed. Our Bimini top is of a much thinner canvas/material that our original boat and is not keeping water out of the interior of the boat when it rains. I waterproofed it again a month ago and it didn't help. Has anyone else experienced the same with their Bimini top and any suggestions besides paying about $1500 for a new top when the existing is 4 years old?

Hi Phil, sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your cover. We're in our fourth season as well and have only had minimal water intrusion (perhaps a cup of water under the stern lounger). I would suggest contacting your dealer as the next step to determine whether it might be covered under warranty. I've thought about waterproofing our cover but because it's still doing a good job I haven't done anything so far.

Thank you Michiman. I will do that. I wanted to see if that doesn't work, whether anyone had a similar experience and a possible solution if the dealer option doesn't work out. I appreciate your rresponse!

Okay you're talking about the playpen cover right? Not the bimini top? Is it leaking from the seams? Do you have vents where the support poles are? Could be coming in that way. Have your dealer check it out. Could be a warranty issue. ...

Are you talking Bimini, or mooring cover? (What the he11 is a “playpen cover” anyway?)

The mooring covers are made to be water resistant, not water proof. They are more for keeping critters and dirt out, not waterproofing the interior. If they didn’t breathe a little, the boat would never dry out. Spraying them with items like 303 won’t make them waterproof, but makes the water bead up and roll off much easier, allowing less to penetrate through the cover.

Thank you all for your responses. I may not have used the correct term saying the "Bimini Cover", so in layman's language I am referring to the big black cover that snaps on the side of the boat and covers the whole interior and does have 3 poles that hold it up so the water runs off or is supposed.

4 years old should be under warranty .Talk to your dealer

i just used 303 on our 2007, original cover. Significantly better ! Carpet was always wet from rain , now dry. I'll use 303 at least once a year going forward.

Thank you all for your responses. I may not have used the correct term saying the "Bimini Cover", so in layman's language I am referring to the big black cover that snaps on the side of the boat and covers the whole interior and does have 3 poles that hold it up so the water runs off or is supposed.

The bimini cover is that thing you can raise up for shade while out on the boat. As for your mooring or playpen cover (what it sounds like you are really talking about), there were some nice ideas above.

Our Benny used to be under a huge Sunbrella canopy when we kept it on a lift the first two seasons. I got rid of the lift/canopy this year and now have it up out of the water on its Sea Legs when not in use. That means I am down to just using the mooring cover for rain and other environmental protection. It does handle about 95% of the rain. I still can get a little dampness inside of it, and particularly around some seat edges.

And although barely used these past three summers due to the former canopy, our cover already has two issues that are likely warranty related (tie string for securing it around 1 of my bimini supports just pulled right off the first time I tried to tie it up, and I am seeing a little fraying and can see “sunlight” through the black cover at one of my pole support vent caps).

Not sure I want to mess with any sort of warranty claim, or snap realignment issues over such minor things now. BUT if leaking begins to happen at any of those points or new problems develop that compromise it keeping water out, then I’ll need to follow up with my dealer for a warranty fix or replacement.

Overall, I like how light and easy to handle the cover is with its current material. However, it does seem flimsy and non-durable. Pros and Cons I suppose. If it were super durable like Sunbrella, it wouldn’t be nearly as light and easy to handle - and with my back these days, I do like light and easy to handle. ;)

Back