Leaky Canopy Cover

Compromise2

Reaction score
We have 2023 SX20, and our canopy cover leaks at all seams. Did not really notice it this summer as we use boat every weekend and also a lot of extended weekends were the cover stays off. Now it is out of water at our house awaiting to go into enclosed storage but I am reluctant to put away until every thing is dry and it keeps raining.

According to dealer, Bennington said the leaking is normal. I find this hard to believe as our previous boat was a Harris that sat out in water tied up for 7 years and never leaked.

Is this common?

We have 2023 SX20, and our canopy cover leaks at all seams. Did not really notice it this summer as we use boat every weekend and also a lot of extended weekends were the cover stays off. Now it is out of water at our house awaiting to go into enclosed storage but I am reluctant to put away until every thing is dry and it keeps raining.

According to dealer, Bennington said the leaking is normal. I find this hard to believe as our previous boat was a Harris that sat out in water tied up for 7 years and never leaked.

Is this common?
We have had good luck with our mooring covers with our last 2 boats. But every year I applied Starbrite waterproofing spray on the entire cover and the seams. The water used to bead up like a just waxed car and run off.....

Thanks BigKahuna

I also used fabric protectant, per instructions, right away when boat was purchased. It’ was 303 not Starbrite, so a little different, but water did and still does bead up, just leaks in at seams.

My experience would suggest that leaking seams are not typical. I’ve had no issues with my cover leaking over the past six years.

Cover leaking update.

Dealer went back to Bennington and they are replacing cover even though they stated the covers are not fully waterproof and it is on the owner to make sure and remove cover from time to time to dry out boat and prevent mold/mildew.

The covers are not fully waterproof with the idea of allowing the boat to “Breath” a little bit to help reduce mold. But as Michiman stated, leaking at the seams seem to be a different matter that I have not heard being a major issue. I am glad your dealer and Bennington have worked with you to take care of it.

Back