LED Lights

JeffC

Reaction score
I just ordered a 2017 22SSRXP with SPS and a Yamaha 150.  For other options I got: helm chair with bolster, shark hide, tow bar, bow gate seat, Garmin fish finder, and the extended platform.  I think I still have a little time to make any changes so my question is; is there anything else that is a "must have" option? Specifically I'm considering one of the LED lighting options to add some light at night on the boat, and I'm wondering if they add much light and if people think they are worth the extra money. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Garmin did you get? I got the Bimini leds. Never used them on our existing, but I'd rather have them and not need them vs. other way around. Same with bow table.

Be careful asking the question, we like to spend your money. I've been around long enough I didn't need help, I just kept adding and adding ......  :lol:

Did you get the center storage with the SPS? one of the better options we chose to spend money on, never enough room on a boat! Besides, that's not something you can add later. We have blue LED's in the bimini, we use them on occasion, but the top is normally closed up on a nice night so we can see the stars. 

I have all the LED options on my 2012 and love them all.  We open the Bimini at night just so we have the LED lights on [actually my bimini is usually open unless the mooring cover is on. 

I have always liked the side lighting over the underwater lights but am glad I have both.  We love boating at night

Thanks for the replies. I got the little Garmin Striker 4, primarily for GPS speed, but also for depth.  Historically we have only gone out at night a couple times a year (usually for fireworks) but this is our first pontoon boat so I'm expecting a different usage pattern, thinking that we will do more evening cruises, but also sit on it at night on the dock. The Bimini lights sound good for that. Do the regular courtesy lights give off enough light for people moving around the boat at night? Thanks again.

Yes JeffC the courtesy lights are adequate for safety; however I added a few aftermarket for additional illumination

Although we really don't do much "true" night cruising, we are out on the water until after sunset and our lighted cupholders and speakers give off a fair amount of light. If your budget allows, I'd go for the raised helm and then the center storage. Looks like you are building a beautiful boat that you'll enjoy for years to come. Welcome JeffC!

Thanks for the replies. I got the little Garmin Striker 4, primarily for GPS speed, but also for depth.  

Yeah, if that's all you are using it for, that will be fine. If you were using for fishing, I'd step it up or go aftermarket.

Yes Semperfi8387, I agree about the fish finder. I had a Garmin 7012 on the ocean boat I just sold so I am not expecting much in the way of actual fish finding with this unit. Also in your "On Order" list (which seems like a really nice boat) I wouldn't have guessed 20HP would be enough, but it looks like you have experience with that. I considered that color combination, but the kids voted for Regatta Blue with a Platinum accent, blue canvas and Sandstone furniture.

Adkboater and Michiman, I did not get the center storage. I agree that it would be nice especially for skis and wake boards, but in my mind not worth the extra $1,000 or so for how we will use the boat. The raised helm isn't available on the S series so that's why I went with a bolster on the helm seat.  

For power I was considering a 115HP, but after driving one, I went up to the 150. Our lake is 8 miles long, we are in the middle, and we often go to the north end and on a test drive in a new (clean pontoon) boat it didn't hit 20 mph until over 4,000 rpm. I would love to go up to 200, but I had to stop somewhere...for now.

Yeah, the 20HP is max allowed on our lake. On a good day, clean toons, with tail wind we get max 12mph. Lol!!! But we can run all weekend on 5 gallons of fuel.  :lol:

I'm pretty sure you can get a raised helm, just not with the bolster seat, if you have that selected it won't give you option of the raised helm. 150 and SPS is a great combination I'm sure you'll be happy with that. I'm no pro on the fish finder/GPS units but we have the 50C (?) with the inland maps and that's one thing I won't go without now!

Yup, we get by without the center storage as well. JeffC, it sounds like you have a nice build and based upon what others have said, the 150 SPS combo will serve you well. Now as Tom Petty says, "the waiting is the hardest part...".

I'd add stainless docking lights, heavy duty rub rail and if budget allows power assist steering.

Congrats on the new toon!

It's amazing that I ever even ordered a boat given my indecision over relatively unimportant options :)  

adkboater, thank you, you are correct that you can get a raised helm if you don't get the bolster helm chair, but I think I will stick with the bolster as I'm more used to one.  As far as LED lights, it is down to either just the Bimini ones, or just the toe kick ones, and I am leaning towards toe kick.   

I also didn't realize that there are two no charge upholstery options with the SX Premium. One is SX upholstery with the upgraded bases and the other is Diamond Pressed 80% Cut-out.  My dealer recommends the non cut-out.  Any opinions on this one way or the other?

Finally, I forgot to add in my build that I got the sandstone docking lights. I like the stainless ones better, but again, not sure they are worth the incremental money.  

Like any purchase with options, each one sounds great, and not that much more than you wanted to spend, until you look back, realize that you checked a lot of boxes and, like Wile E. Coyote, you are way past the edge of the cliff.

Not a huge fan of diamond pressed, just have the available plush seating in sandstone/graphite and we love it. The stainless steel docking lights are definitely more money but besides the look they're  about bullet proof for feet, coolers etc. but if your docking situation will always be from the side it may not be an issue. Trust me when I say this, some of things you can't really upgrade later are worth the price now!

My boat also came with the sandstone lights rather than the stainless, but so far (one season) there have been no issues with them. We board either from the front or side, so they have not been in the direct line of traffic. I was also concerned about not having the pop-up cleats, but that hasn't turned out to be a tripping issue either for us. For the most part, I'm relatively happy with the options selected by my dealer.

I have the stainless docking lights and love the look but one night I was on my friends boat who had the plastic docking lights.  I was shocked at how much brighter his docking lights were than mine.  Like many things in life there are pros and cons to just about any issue

I swapped out regular bulbs for LED's bulbs in my courtesy lights and gauges and anchor light. Superbrightleds is the site for great selection.

New member here, BTW

I swapped out regular bulbs for LED's bulbs in my courtesy lights and gauges and anchor light. Superbrightleds is the site for great selection.

New member here, BTW

Thanks for the reminder! Easy to do generally speaking.

Back