Lifejacket melted with Simtex

Sometimes plastics don’t play well together. Try keeping some Zman Elaztech baits in contact with other plastic things in the summer and you’ll make some cool abstract art. I’m guessing that tag wasn’t cotton.
Correct. When paired next to each other they can pull the bad stuff to the top. PVC is probably used in one or the other.

Update: talked with manufacturer (great guy and very responsive) and they indicated that most likely I would have to reupholster the area.

This is not the first time they have seen something like this (important to keep life jackets and other materials off the seats while covered).

My understanding is that Simtex is made by heating up a chemical compound. The heat inside the covered pontoon heated up the life jacket emblem (most likely some other plastic compound) that resulted in binding the two together.

Not much you can do to reverse the process given that we are not trying to clean the Simtex.

Note that Bennington uses custom Simtex colors, thus another reupholster complexity.

While my situation is not ideal, I was lucky in that the area is behind the co-captain chair and is less visible.

I might have missed it in the documentation, but don't leave anything on your seats, or against the seats, while the cover is on the pontoon.

Back