lifting her off trailor

Hunterleej

Reaction score
06 20' Bennington 60 HP Yamaha 4 stroke 2 toons

I'd like to lift it off my trailor and paint my toons....I would appreciate any advice as to how to do it.....I have jacks and jack stands if needed.....no fork lift.....Thanks

This is one of those jobs that requires ingenuity and common sense.  And safety is of the utmost importance, as it's too easy to get swashed by a boat.

You might have to get the boat "on the ground" by sliding it off the trailer with the engine tilted all the way up.  Sometimes marinas and boat dealerships will have a scissors style trailer for rent that does this job done effortlessly.

With the boat on the ground, you could use hydraulic jacks and wooden supports to get the boat off the ground far enough to paint the toons.

You could also raise the rear end of the boat with jacks and place supports under it.  Then use a rolling auto/truck engine lift on each toon to lift the nose cones long enough to drive the trailer out from under the boat.  Then drop the front end on a fabricated wooden support.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to get a set of these! What are you painting your toons for salt water? What kind of paint? These would be really cool to take to the lake if they dont weigh much use them while camping to get the boat out of the water night and storms    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV9vcRIb8b4

I would like to get a set of these! What are you painting your toons for salt water? What kind of paint? These would be really cool to take to the lake if they dont weigh much use them while camping to get the boat out of the water night and storms    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV9vcRIb8b4
You don't want them!! I just removed mine due to drag and decreased performance. They weigh 600lbs. Nice concept, but really hinders your boat's performance!!

You could also raise the rear end of the boat with jacks and place supports under it.  Then use a rolling auto/truck engine lift on each toon to lift the nose cones long enough to drive the trailer out from under the boat.  Then drop the front end on a fabricated wooden support.

Did something similar for my 22' toon.  Put the boat in the barn and lowered the front of the trailer all the way down.  Put jacks stands with 4x4 on at the rear bulkheads.  On the horizontal beam of the roof truss I added a laminated beam with 4x4's running to the floor just wider than the trailer.  Jacked the front of the trailer up and attached heavy duty ratchet straps to the lifting eyes of the toons and the beam.  Lowered the front of the trailer and the boat was off the trailer.  Pulled the trailer out and worked on the toons all winter.  For extra safety you could put cribbing to the front deck. 

Back