Lifting strakes added to the pontoons ?

mosesjb2

Reaction score
Is it possible to get lifting strakes added to the pontoons or easier to replace them all together?
It would seem they could be added easily to the inside portion of the pontoons.

When building my pontoon, I was on the fence about spending the extra money for lifting strakes so I asked my dealer if lifting strakes is something that could be added on later and his response was nope. So I bit the bullet and added the lifting strakes figuring it was something that can't be added later from the dealer.

Is it possible to get lifting strakes added to the pontoons or easier to replace them all together?
It would seem they could be added easily to the inside portion of the pontoons.
This is a good question. I wish they could be added. Seems like all you would need is an individual who knows how to weld.

Welding them onto existing tubes would suck, mostly due to positioning and access.

This is a good question. I wish they could be added. Seems like all you would need is an individual who knows how to weld.
That was my thought as well. I realize it would not be easy due to the location, but if it is on a good trailer it should be possible.

Aftermarket may void your tube warranty, especially since some of the tube failures/leaks seem related to the lifting strake weld points from the factory. If using a skilled welder it probably isn't a huge risk but I personally wouldn't chance it unless I was prepared to deal with additional out of pocket costs.

It is possible. If going to the trouble and expense is acceptable, maybe consider TAP fins (or some similar product). I looked at these and others some years ago, but decided the cost/reward ratio was not good enough...maybe they are for a different application...? If I had tried them, would likely have only added the fins to the inside of the logs.

https://www.conradmarine.com/

Wow, cool info. I liked the idea that the fins could flatten out a Toon Boat with the angled rear fin, certainly improving visibility - seems to make a lot of sense. The overall gain on speed was notable, though a few MPH for most is not important. I think the primary question is Potomacbassin above - warranty issues!! I would also have concerns - one more edge to catch the trailer or a body part on. Thank you for sharing!!!!

Back