Little Elk Lake near Zimmerman MN

Great Dane

Reaction score
Any of my fellow Minnesotans ever land their pontoon using this public landing on Little Elk Lake? https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4780482,-93.6306251,68m/data=!3m1!1e3  

I have to admit as a rookie trailer driver it looks a little hairy to me. But this lake is only about 5 minutes from the house, so if I can learn how to maneuver my monster in that landing it would be pretty sweet. There is a bar on the NW shore of the lake that has a bigger landing, but I'm not sure what the rules are with using it.

Maybe its just me, but I don't think there's enough room for me to get the boat and truck lined up straight (we are pulling with a  Suburban). So I'll have to back in from a turned position...and the landing is kinda narrow too. Just wondering if anyone on here might have hit this landing before and if they though it was easy enough to maneuver. Maybe its just nerves, I'll figure it out. Picking up the boat in about a week!

I have landed my other boats there but not any of my pontoons yet.

I have landed my other boats there but not any of my pontoons yet.
Did the landing seem cramped to you then? Or am I just being a noob?

It is petty tight but I think it is doable. I would be more worried about the depth of landing and how far we would need to back in with a bunk trailer. Could maybe also go to ridgewod bay.

I will message you in a bit.

Great Dane

I sent you a message, not sure if you are aware of how to see them. You can see or check them it if you Click on the little envelope in the upper right corner near your profile name.

Never experienced that landing, but I can tell you I have been at others tighter than that one with my 25' GCWB.  I am sure it's possible to get in there.  You actually have a benefit that the landing / dock is on the driver side when backing in and turning.  It makes it easier to see the side of the boat and placement where you are. 

At that landing, my bigger concern would be for parking while on the water.  Behind a suburban already set's you at probably 40'-50' in total length depending on your boat and trailer.  Depending on the spots that are available, you may have to be on the road, so just check out your surroundings and know what you will do when empty.  Be aware, backing in the empty trailer is going to be tougher than the loaded trailer.....

First step as rookie driver.... know you are a rookie driver.  So, check, you already have that accomplished!  :)    Just take it slow and go at a non-busy time some day to practice.  I remember when I bought my first boat and went up north.... had to back it down 1/8 mile landing that was double S curves.... surely had to learn quickly but got a lot of confidence when I did it.  Knowing what I know now, I would love to be backing in the pontoon as it doesn't jack-knife nearly like my small boat I had did back then!

Back