Looking for a better cooler idea.

jretka123

Reaction score
Hi, we have a 2019 21 SX and learning a lot about pontoon ownership. I love it. The new trailers definitely make trailering a whole lot easier. One down side was the cooler. Ours came with that soft sided one that leaked day one. Luckily the second live well in back makes an excellent wet bar!

The idea of the under console makes sense. Has anyone found a good one other than the AO models?
Thanks

Jay in MN

Attachments

• Pontoon on sales floor.jpg
    Pontoon on sales floor.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 110
I have literally every size yeti and the bags too but I love my kula cooler. Holds a lot but never feels like it is in the way. Doubles as a seat too.
8B6C4217-50BF-4522-872A-25FDDAD43D65.png

I have the cooler under the front right couch corner and the ottoman cooler option. Love em both! They obviously wont hold ice as long as a true cooler but for a day on the lake they work just fine. If im going to be out for a weekend I pack the big cooler also.

My suggestion is get a couple smaller ones with wheels (brand of your choice). One for drinks (ice). One for for food (dry packs). Sooner or later, every cooler gets in the way of something else and needs to be moved. Smaller ones are easier to move around vs a big one. And the wheels help when the kids run off to the car at the end of the day and you end up hauling everything yourself.

Also, space is limited on a boat, so thin walled coolers give you more inner cooler space for any given outer dimension. And they are much cheaper. Our average boat trip is about 4-5 hours. I don't need a thick walled cooler where the ice lasts a week.

Last edited:
By the way, if you have kids, or grandkids, note that most juice boxes contain CLEAR juice, no matter what flavor or brand it is. Which means no seat stains. This is one of my best boating secrets. Spill some Hawaiian Punch from a bottle (the deep red kind) on a seat and you'll know why I'm suggesting this.

Last edited:
On our 2018 22SSX, our Yeti Hopper Flip 12 and our Hopper 30 both fit under the console together.

Is there a wax for the colored aluminum panels? I am worried the sun down here in Florida will fade the panels.

Thanks, i went on the forum and found some info.

Try a standard hard type cooler perhaps a coleman. Get some tie down anchors a straps and put it just behind the helm seat. Works perfect and you dont have to exit the playpen to utilize it. Just a thought. Works well for us.

We have a large white Igloo marine cooler bought from Costco years ago. We slide it in port center door easily from ground (at home boat on trailer, for 2 people, that is) and then close door and it just sits in that doorway perfectly. We rarely use that center door so it works perfect and can be sat on if needed for extra large group aboard. Then when we get home, slide cooler out the port door and 2 people can lower to ground relatively easy. We have the carpet (2013 22SLX) so we can slide cooler around to open door without scratching flooring that newer boats might have issue with. Works for us and we can ice that big cooler well for cold beverages. (and no leaks as it is hard sided, and white color minimizes sun heating). The carpet has enough friction that cooler stays put. If we don't want triangle shaped table set up, there is room to store top next to cooler pinched against forward port seating couch. Works great for us that have boat on trailer.

We have five igloo coolers of different sizes. Some with wheels, some without. The size of the group dictates the number of drinks and the cooler size needed. Our boat has a built in cooler and the ottoman cooler but we find it a hassle to fill with ice and drinks before getting underway and then emptying at the end of the day. It is more convenient to fill the coolers at home and take them to the boat.

Agree with kaydano that thinner walled coolers work fine and provide more space for drinks and food, not to mention they cost significantly less. Most of our coolers will fit behind the captain and co-captain chairs allowing easy access. They will also fit under the helm. We actually put the larger ones between the bow seats and use as a table and or seat. We have also found that if we refrigerate and get the drinks cold before putting them in the cooler we don't need to add a bag of ice. Instead we put in a few empty drink bottles that have been filled with water and frozen. Keeps everything cold and makes clean up a lot easier.

Last edited:
Agree with the above comments about a good car wax and 303 Marine Quick Wax for waxing the boat. I love and use 303 products. But I have found a better wax, in my opinion, than the 303 Marine Quick Wax. I use Turtle Wax Wax and Dry. You spray it on after washing and rinsing your boat while the boat is still wet and then immediately wipe it off with a microfiber towel. No need to let it dry to a haze. So you save time and get a great shine. It also includes a UV protectant and is cheaper than 303.

Back