Looking for a trailer and lift

lakeliving

Reaction score
Hi all, looking to get some info on what everyone is using for a trailer as well as lifts. Where did you get it? Also, any one have any information on the COBO or Novi shows in regards to trailer/lift deals? I want to get something this winter before the boat shows up so I can be ready to rock and roll come spring time.

Thanks!

I'm going with the Summit Marine 44100 hydraulic lift with a Touchless Cover canopy. I don't use a trailer so can't help you there but Hoosier Trailers are pretty common around here.

We have a Hoosier trailer, dual axle, surge brakes, 10" tires. Had it 8 years and tow 1200 miles each summer. Very happy with it and would buy another one.

I suggest you check out a Craftlander vertical lift. A very strong lift with a superior bunking system. Heavy aluminum support rails with a thick plastic/hifax type covering. They offer a canopy with extended sides for extra protection. Great product.

I own a Hoosier trailer. I've had two. They are structurally one of the best built steel pontoon trailers, but they aren't the best looking trailer out there. They do have a decent ladder system though. I trailer ALOT, and have had absolutely no issues with either of my Hoosier trailers.

For my next new tritoon, I'll be buying an aluminum trailer. They may cost more, but well worth it IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea on lifts, but I do like my trailer quite a bit. It's definitely an eye catcher as far as I'm concerned, loads and unloads nice. 14" tires could make it tough in really shallow launches, but it's great for me and it tracks really well behind the vehicle. There are some pics in my gallery, it's an EZLoader Custom Executive series.

Derrick

Thanks for the feedback guys. The dealer we ordered the boat from sells hoosier but I haven't had a chance to see one in person. I heard that wolverine trailers are sub-standard. I looked at a genesis today but wasn't to impressed.

Derrick, I have scoped out the photos of your trailer in the past and it is very nice! I love the back lit Bennington logos.

Craftlander seems very nicely built

Lakeliving, Mine boat came with a yachet club trailer. Be honest, not that impressed with it. It has MANY very sharp edges created by the welds. I had to file them off, and touch them up. Couple things I have learned (this is my first Pontoon), you need to understand how you will use this boat. Like, are you towing long distance, will you drop the boat in the same lake, or many different lakes, how do you plan on storing your boat. My orginal intention was to tow this boat all over Mich. Well, after my first tow, that changed! I based my trailer on the long hauls. The trailer has 14 inch wheels, float on, surge brakes. The issues I have found is that you will NEVER get this boat into most garages as 7 feet measures to the middle of the top rail. Being higher off the ground requires a deeper launch, so to date, most lakes I have been to is very difficult to launch. One option you should get is the front stairs, I use this all the time. If I did it again, I would go for a smaller wheel, and maybe a life style, and no surge. I only tow this boat now 19 miles tops and most of the time less than two miles.

Good Luck,

AWK

Thanks for the the info. We would be using the trailer to take the boat to some surrounding lakes a couple times during the summer. Nothing more than 30 miles away. I'll have to make sure the whole setup will fit inside the inlaws garage/barn for the winter.

Lakeliving, Mine boat came with a yachet club trailer. Be honest, not that impressed with it. It has MANY very sharp edges created by the welds. I had to file them off, and touch them up. Couple things I have learned (this is my first Pontoon), you need to understand how you will use this boat. Like, are you towing long distance, will you drop the boat in the same lake, or many different lakes, how do you plan on storing your boat. My orginal intention was to tow this boat all over Mich. Well, after my first tow, that changed! I based my trailer on the long hauls. The trailer has 14 inch wheels, float on, surge brakes. The issues I have found is that you will NEVER get this boat into most garages as 7 feet measures to the middle of the top rail. Being higher off the ground requires a deeper launch, so to date, most lakes I have been to is very difficult to launch. One option you should get is the front stairs, I use this all the time. If I did it again, I would go for a smaller wheel, and maybe a life style, and no surge. I only tow this boat now 19 miles tops and most of the time less than two miles.

Good Luck,

AWK
So why would you not want surge brakes? Are you meaning no brakes? I don't see any trailers around here that are carrying a bigger style wakeboarding or pontoon without them.

Derrick

I bought a Trailmaster, built in northern Indiana mainly because it is lower to the ground than most. My 2275GLi fits inside my 8' high garage door with 2" to spare. The Hoosier was like 4 inches taller. Just towed 80 miles with mine today, it tows like a dream. I am very pleased with it. LED lights, swing away tongue, extended rear middle bunks

to match ESP center toon, disc surge brakes with auto reverse lockout. Brakes very well. www.trailmastertrailers.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Trailmaster, built in northern Indiana mainly because it is lower to the ground than most. My 2275GLi fits inside my 8' high garage door with 2" to spare. The Hoosier was like 4 inches taller. Just towed 80 miles with mine today, it tows like a dream. I am very pleased with it. LED lights, swing away tongue, extended rear middle bunks

to match ESP center toon, disc surge brakes with auto reverse lockout. Brakes very well. www.trailmastertrailers.com
Do you have any pics of your trailer? That is the one thing that disappoints me about my trailer. It is supposed to be custom built for my Bennington, yet there is no rear support extension or whatever for the ESP. Which means the boat sits I think a little more forward on the trailer making it tongue heavy. The ole' air ride suspension of the Caddy tries its best to pump her up! Haha It still tows great and isn't bouncy at all, but I think that it could use an extension of the center bunks for additional support.

Derrick

So why would you not want surge brakes? Are you meaning no brakes? I don't see any trailers around here that are carrying a bigger style wakeboarding or pontoon without them.

Derrick
Yes, no brakes. Not needed in my short hauls. My truck has no issue in stopping this. My little TJ Jeep might, but I only use that to move tis around the yard. It all in what you plan on using your boat for. Why spend extra money on a surge brake when your just pulling this down the street. Been a few times where I forget to pull the pin to engage the surge brakes. Truck never knows the difference.

AWK

Yes, no brakes. Not needed in my short hauls. My truck has no issue in stopping this. My little TJ Jeep might, but I only use that to move tis around the yard. It all in what you plan on using your boat for. Why spend extra money on a surge brake when your just pulling this down the street. Been a few times where I forget to pull the pin to engage the surge brakes. Truck never knows the difference.

AWK
Ahhh I see, I personally would still get them just for safeties sake, resale, and now a lot of them don't have pins(my old one did) now they have a reverse solenoid lockout. They have a 5 pin harness instead of 4, and as soon as you put in reverse it disables the brakes so you can back up inclines. Works like a charm! Believe me I know, I have a fairly steep incline at the base of my driveway, not to mention I almost have to be jacknifed to get her in and the wire was broke on the lockout solenoid, unbeknownst to me, well I figured out real quick trying to get that sucker in! The ole Caddy had to work for it, the stupid clip kept falling out of the manual lockout since everytime I pulled forward to straighten out it would extend the surge mechanism and fall out! Had to tape the bugger in there! Haha luckily my local GM dealership fixed the wire the next day and it's been great ever since.

Derrick

Back