Lost anchor

Boomers dad

Reaction score
Well my wife decided she was going to help out alittle more on the boat. Her usual job is to sit and look pretty. As she was dropping the anchor ( the rope was on a reel ) she dropped the whole thing in the water :eek: . She looked at me and said I quote "thats the hole you keep talking about". I wanted to be mad but the expression on her face and her comment just cracked me up. A 150.00 dollar anchor and rope at the bottom of the lake. heck it's just a hole in the water you throw money in :D

Steve

That really stinks, but the moment was probably priceless! And at least she didn't go over with it, and you can bet that won't happen again. Aaah, the joy's of boating :D

This happens more than you could imagine. Last year my brother throws our new anchor and rope into the water so the kids could swim a bit. Only problem, the anchor line wasn't attached to the boat. We have had more laughs about that incident and comment on it every time we go over the "anchor graveyard".

I too had a new helper a few weeks back. I was busy getting in the water to check the engine due to a overheating issue. "Should I throw in the anchor?" she says, her and her friend just wanted to feel that they were helping. I was not concerned about the boat moving too much as we were well off shore and I did not expect to be too long clearing the water intakes from all of the weeds that we just ween through. Splash in goes the anchor. "It's still moving what should we do?" I tell them pull on the rope and set the anchor. "What rope?" :huh:The anchor just does not hold the boat in place very well in you don't tie it to the boat. :angry:

Luckily for me however I have a lot of rope on it and someone gave me a tip a few years back, that I will give to all of you. Attach a small floatation device on the end of the anchor line and leave it there, as long as the water is not so deep that the anchor pulls all of the rope underwater you have a shot at recovering it.

Good tip Pete. I have been boating for many years and I never thought of that.

I too lost my anchor before it was ever used, I had the dealer install a auto winch and accidentally hit it with my knee while moving pretty good. Luckily it did no damage and just snapped the rope.

I have mine on a reel too and I make sure to unwind the rope at least to the depth of the water (usually no more than 40 ft) and gently lower the box anchor until it hits the bottom. I've been paranoid about dropping the whole thing in the water, maybe I should attach something to the reel so it will float. Thanks for the tip.

Quite the opposite for me. I have not once, but twice pulled up my anchor only to find that it hooked the loop on another (lost) anchor line. I now have two extra anchors, complete with anchor lines, and in once case, 3' of chain rode! Finders keepers. :p

Quite the opposite for me. I have not once, but twice pulled up my anchor only to find that it hooked the loop on another (lost) anchor line. I now have two extra anchors, complete with anchor lines, and in once case, 3' of chain rode! Finders keepers. :p
Luckily our lake is 5 foot on average, always wonder what my feet are hitting while waiting for the ski rope?

This must happen a lot because last year while pulling up my anchor I also pulled up someones lost anchor.

This happened 3-times last year so I have a good collection now.

One must maintain a sense of humor while boating.

We had to makea spare anchor from line and a large rock once. The free end Of the former anchor needed attachment to work successfully.

If it can happen it will.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow. i thought i was the only 1 who had a "helper" throw an anchor over.... with no rope tied to the anchor. lol. yup. the rope was tied to the boat, but not the anchor. lol. although i have never been lucky enough to retrieve an "extra anchor".

Back