Magma Connoisseur series gas grill/Chefs Mate

TOON'D OUT

Reaction score
Wanted to share a few pics of the install of our Magma Grill. After much thought I decided to mount the grill in the rear left corner of the swim deck. It just seemed to be the best out of the way place for the mount. Yet still leaves me room if I want to add another "fishing or chef's chair". :D The mounting was pretty straight forward. I used 1.5" x 1/4" s/s screws. I thought about bolt through, but decided that may be a bit of over engineering since I won't be underway when the grill is mounted. Magma throws a big caution- The grill and mount should not be used while the boat is underway or being trailered. Cautions everywhere about this. They make a nice tote bag for the grill which I plan to order today. It will stow nicely on the boat. The grill is very well made and should last a long time.

The mounting post, magma grill, grill cover, and optional cutting board/shelf cost approx $400.00 at West Marine. My install $0.00 :) .

Not cheap by any stretch, but I wanted a nice easy to use and easy to clean grill. Magma is it for me.

I make no claim to be a good or great photographer, but wanted to share a few pics with anyone interested in adding a grill to their TOON-

Floor mount- the black button is a release button so that you can unscrew the post. It has a small ratchet

which tightens as your turn the post clock wise into the floor mount. You push the black button to release the tension on the ratchet.

DSCN0432.jpg

Grill mounted with optional cutting board. (nice to set grill tongs, plate etc.)

DSCN0431.jpg

Back side of Magma grill.

DSCN0437.jpg

As a Combat Veteran, I love our flag, so this shot made the cut-

DSCN0440.jpg

DSCN0438.jpg

I hope these photo's help anyone considering the addition of a grill on their TOON. I look forward to grilling some

very large shrimp soon! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice photo's. The grill location looks perfect. My only question is do you think the screws will hold up if you mount a fishing chair? I'm considering a mount for a chair in the same location. Would you recommend that I use bolts or screws? Hey, enjoy those shrimp on the new barbie!

Nice photo's. The grill location looks perfect. My only question is do you think the screws will hold up if you mount a fishing chair? I'm considering a mount for a chair in the same location. Would you recommend that I use bolts or screws? Hey, enjoy those shrimp on the new barbie!
Thank you for your kind comment on the location. I can't wait to fire it up and do some grillin out on the water.

If you install a fishing chair I would suggest use s/s bolts and washers and nyloc nuts.

The weight of the chair and the dynamics of use over time may cause the screws to loosen IMHO.

The grill/post and mount on the other hand are all pretty stationary. It feels solid when mounted.

Set it up for use, and take it down when finished cooking.

Looks great and the location looks functional too! Wish the grill I bought had that slide out tray in the front - think you will find that essential. Now batter some of those shrimp in coconut/orange zest and tells us how they turn out :p

Sweet. I think that's my new plan. If I might ask, where did you score the tube, upper and lower mounts..... and how much?

Thanks!

Sweet. I think that's my new plan. If I might ask, where did you score the tube, upper and lower mounts..... and how much?

Thanks!
Thanks Goldnrod24!

Goggle West Marine and you can take a look at their website, its all there. :D

I visited a store here in Charlotte near Lake Wylie NC. The entire set up was $400.00 out the door. The grill was half the cost at $200.00.

Presently I don't have the break down of the other components. The floor mount, tube and upper mount was like 85.00 which by the way comes complete.

Then I added the s/s shelf/cutting board grill cover/not pictured. Its not a cheap add on, but very nice quaility and easy to use. I highly reccomend this set up.

Basically, I wanted to see the product in the store first before buying. I was impressed with the quaility, fit and finish. Nice goods.

While at West Marine they had everything I was looking for in the store, so I just decided to pick it up.

Thanks Goldnrod24!

Goggle West Marine and you can take a look at their website, its all there. :D
I tried, but frankly, their website sux and I never did find the parts you reference. If you get the chance to drill down into your receipt and get part numbers and prices, I, for one, will be greatly appreciative.

Looks like a nice grill and the installation looks professional. Congrats.....now bring on the steaks!

Thank you for your kind comment on the location. I can't wait to fire it up and do some grillin out on the water.

If you install a fishing chair I would suggest use s/s bolts and washers and nyloc nuts.

The weight of the chair and the dynamics of use over time may cause the screws to loosen IMHO.

The grill/post and mount on the other hand are all pretty stationary. It feels solid when mounted.

Set it up for use, and take it down when finished cooking.
Thanks for the feedback. I will bolt it through as a chair on a post takes much more weight and pressure than the grill. Can't wait to take delivery and get launched. Our lakes still have ice on them and tonight we might get 8 " of spring snow! I'm thinking the beginning of May before we get launched in SE Michigan. Your toon pics are keeping me going! Thanks for sharing with all of us.

Thanks for the feedback. I will bolt it through as a chair on a post takes much more weight and pressure than the grill. Can't wait to take delivery and get launched. Our lakes still have ice on them and tonight we might get 8 " of spring snow! I'm thinking the beginning of May before we get launched in SE Michigan. Your toon pics are keeping me going! Thanks for sharing with all of us.
kanop44

Hang in there it was 82 degrees here today.......wishing TOON weather your way! :D

I tried, but frankly, their website sux and I never did find the parts you reference. If you get the chance to drill down into your receipt and get part numbers and prices, I, for one, will be greatly appreciative.
I tried copying and pasting the part numbers and a pic of the grill, post, cutting board etc....this did not work.

So here is the link/site- I had no trouble finding the products. I hope this helps.

www.westmarine.com

Very Nice job, love the quality and choice of the grill. Nice Taste, thanks for giving us some hope.

Very Nice job, love the quality and choice of the grill. Nice Taste, thanks for giving us some hope.
DC2011,

Thank you for your kind words of support. I am new to this whole boating/pontooning hobby and hope to learn more.

I do believe in one thing, If anything is worth doing, its worth doing right. An early March pic of the "Admiral" :D

Cheers!

DSCN0418.jpg

I couldn't agree more Admiral, the only way to do things. Enjoy! Kudo's on the toon"d out

Your boat is absolutely beautiful and the grill is a really neat addition!

I have a question for you about your graphics since we both have the 20 Sli. Did the raised letters come with your graphic package....or did you special order those??

You look so happy and relaxed.....you seem to have gotten the hang of the pontooning lifestyle already!!
cool.gif

Enjoy!

Your boat is absolutely beautiful and the grill is a really neat addition!

I have a question for you about your graphics since we both have the 20 Sli. Did the raised letters come with your graphic package....or did you special order those??

You look so happy and relaxed.....you seem to have gotten the hang of the pontooning lifestyle already!!
cool.gif

Enjoy!
Joyfultooner,

Thank you for your kind compliment on our TOON. I do believe the Chrome Bennington (raised letter) is an additional option.

We did not special order our pontoon. We looked at it and really liked it, and purchased it from existing dealer inventory.

He had two, and the other was blue nonsport graphics. We liked the red as it is sporty looking and easily seen out on the water.

Our salesman said that they had our TOON outfitted with as many options as possible as it was photographed and on display in the 2011 brochure.

Such as ski/tube towbar, s/s docking lights, 70hp Yamaha, raised chrome lettering, sport graphics, etc.

I added a Garmin 95 fish/depth finder and an addtional table mount up front.

The pics were taken at Lake Norman, NC which we live approx 30 min from our home.

Can't wait to see pics of your new TOON!

Joyfultooner,

Thank you for your kind compliment on our TOON. I do believe the Chrome Bennington (raised letter) is an additional option.

We did not special order our pontoon. We looked at it and really liked it, and purchased it from existing dealer inventory.

He had two, and the other was blue nonsport graphics. We liked the red as it is sporty looking and easily seen out on the water.

Our salesman said that they had our TOON outfitted with as many options as possible as it was photographed and on display in the 2011 brochure.

Such as ski/tube towbar, s/s docking lights, 70hp Yamaha, raised chrome lettering, sport graphics, etc.

I added a Garmin 95 fish/depth finder and an addtional table mount up front.

The pics were taken at Lake Norman, NC which we live approx 30 min from our home.

Can't wait to see pics of your new TOON!
You're welcome!!

Thanks for the info. How awesome that you were able to get your boat already dressed to kill!! :)

We picked up our baby yesterday and I have pictures. Can you give me some assistance on how to post them on the forum?? I would really appreciate your expertise!

You're welcome!!

Thanks for the info. How awesome that you were able to get your boat already dressed to kill!! :)

We picked up our baby yesterday and I have pictures. Can you give me some assistance on how to post them on the forum?? I would really appreciate your expertise!
I use photobucket.com which is free.

Google the photobucket site and surf around on the home page and you will see where it says register. Familiarize yourself a little with the home page. Then, register, and then look for the "down load" your photos window. A browser window will open up and you will select the location of your photos on your computer. Follow the prompts to download your photos to the photo bucket website. Once you have downloaded your pics to the site, minimize the photobucket sceen, open up this forum and under "new topic" and then open up the photobucket screen that you just minimized and copy and paste your pics from photo bucket to your "new topic". Its pretty easy if you take your time. You can copy and paste as often as you want from photobucket and its a nice way to keep an album. The nice thing about photobucket is that you won't loose your photos even in the event your computer ever crashs. Let me know if this helps. Alright, now there is your homework assignment......haha! Can't wait to see pics of that new TOON!

Back