Magma Grills

StevL

Reaction score
Little help please, looking at Magma grills.

I see reviews all over the board, and the infrared models seem to get the worst reviews. If you have a Magma grill which model? Are you happy with it? Would you choose a different model if you had it to do over?

Thx!

Steve

We have the Magma Kettle 2 grill. It is great - I would get this one again. We also bought the shore stand and use it off the boat as well.

We have the Magma Kettle 2 grill. It is great - I would get this one again. We also bought the shore stand and use it off the boat as well.
Ive been looking at grills as well so the info is good. What mounting bracket are you using?

I'm thinking pole mount on the aft port side. Really like to hear about opinions on mounts too.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still liking the small gas Webers...

Awesome grills.  Got to be a way to combo them for pontooning in the summer, and then tailgating in the fall...

Still trying to figure that out (storage, mounting, etc).

Ive been looking at grills as well so the info is good. What mounting bracket are you using?
I have the bracket that mounts to the rail and hangs over side. Mine is mounted on rear - I think I have a picture in the gallery.

SEMPERFI8387,

Which grill are you using? Are you happy with that grill?

Thx,

Steve

No grill yet, wife hates cooking on them anyhow (she's vegetarian). We just do sandwiches in cooler, BUT, if I got one, I want the Magma Kettle.

Another reason I don't have one, is I don't have the rear deck space and I don't really like the rail mount look.

Hopefully I can talk her into one this year, and I'm going to use the mount linked above, and probably mount it where the ladder comes up on starboard side being it's easily removable.

I bought the Magma Trailmate last summer. It's one of their cheapest models but I love it. I would go one up in size though if you are cooking for more than 4 people. I have it mounted to the railing on the starboard side near the stern. It also has legs and we used it on shore as well. We anchored out at the very north end of Torch Lake (Michigan) and I cooked for 6 of us doing burgers and brats and it cooked them perfectly....everyone was quite impressed.

Here are some photos of my Magma grill as described above:

gallery_300_298_2613182.png

gallery_300_298_2420398.png

gallery_300_298_2140242.png

What's all that between the grill and the mount?  Does the grill slide fowards and backwards or something?  Or does it slide out so you can take it with you?

I also see a cotter pin below the mount...  Is that where you disconnect it to take it with you?  Seems like that would make it hard to set down on the ground or in your vehicle or anywhere with a big post under it.

Sorry, I just don't get how it works.  Looks like there are some moving parts...  Maybe not.

No moving parts. ...you remove that pin and pull the whole thing out (up) to remove it. If you look closely at the bottom you will see on both sides where the legs are folded in. They open up so you can use the grill on the ground or on a picnic table. When the legs are open they extend below that post that's used to mount to the boat.

I should add that this grill lights incredibly easy as well.

Here are some more photos of it:

gallery_300_298_838443.jpg

gallery_300_298_364334.jpg

Looks like good quality. Have you ever used it?

Yeah we cooked on it for 6 of us (adults) last summer a few times. Cooked everything perfectly.

A question to those of you who mount the grills on your rail: is getting it level an issue with the boat usually being a bit lower in the water toward the back? Do the rail mounts have some sort of leveling mechanism?

Was not an issue at all but no....there is no leveling mechanism. 

Back