Maintaining pristine boat condition fishing?

floves

Reaction score
Like many of you I have a new boat (2275 RCW ESP) I bought for cruising, tubing with my kids, and just floating but I also would like to use for fishing especially for my Father who loves to fish. It's the one thing that my Father loves to do and it's the only way I can possibly get him to hang out with the family. He's getting up in age and just want to spend time with him. The dilemma I have is that it has full carpet except a small portion of the stern and the extended deck. It also has the high end diamond pillow-top furniture. Does anybody here have similar set up and fish? How do you maintain the boat in pristine condition? Do you cover seats or floor with anything? Do the seats and floor clean easy? Love to hear some thoughts. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have fished out of our 2002 other brand boat since new. The carpet is the least of your worries. I would throw some junk towels over the seats and spend time with Dad. You will never have the chance again. If something happens, it will always be a reminder of the time you spent together.

Some extra large towels (watch beach towels with designs in case of bleeding) on furniture, and cheap indoor / outdoor carpet for those fishing days.

Remembers, he's your dad, it's just a boat .......wish my dad was around to fish with me, so enjoy while you can.

A perfect clean boat is one that is never used. We don't beat the boat up on purpose but things happen. It really comes down to - you bought it to spend time with people. Enjoy the time, don't sweat the small stuff and remember almost everything is small stuff.

We just returned from the sierra's and took our new beauty with 1 hr on motor to june lake, we had 11 on board with 5 poles... NIGHTMARE... Don't think i will do that again, maybe only 1 or 2... we covered all seats with towels, and made everyone that was fising stay in the rear... only.. had 3 on the very back, and 1 each on the loungers... Me and my friend, baited everyones pole and we cast them, we did not allow them to do anything.. .then netted on the side of the boat, used a stringer and let them hang in the water.. never brought one fish on board... boat never got any fish parts close to interior, was not more stress and headaches acomplishing that feat.. glad were back.. will rent a boat next time, and will only fish like i said early with myself and little guy, if at our normal lake off the swim step only... good luck..

I've found that most of the mess comes from baiting the hooks, it's either the dirt that the nightcrawlers come in or cutting up mackerel when we're trying for catfish. I added this baking pan with two-sided tape, sourced from a thrift shop for the princely sum of one dollar. All hooks get baited here without exception.

Since most fish caught are released right away, there's not much blood to deal with. Any fish that can't have the hooks removed while over the rail get done within the livewell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I told my wife I was going to get a fishing license this year and do a little fishing on the pontoon like I used to on our old I/O. She said NO WAY!!!! She told me I am LUCKY she "lets me have my sweaty guy friends on the boat"!!!! Good luck with the fishing...

I told my wife I was going to get a fishing license this year and do a little fishing on the pontoon like I used to on our old I/O. She said NO WAY!!!! She told me I am LUCKY she "lets me have my sweaty guy friends on the boat"!!!! Good luck with the fishing...
That sounds familiar ,must be a Michigan thing .

I have an two year old and another young child that both play on the floor and my wife doesn't want the boat to get "icky" for the kids. If I could go back in time I would get all vinyl with snap in carpet. There must be a way to protect floor. semperfi had an idea with the indoor/outdoor carpet. I'm thinking maybe I could attach a plastic vabor barrier underneath the outdoor carpet as added protection.

Back