Making Middle Toon Storage Lockable

dannyleininger

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to find a locking kit that would make my Center Toon Storage area lockable? Im headed to the coast and my Dock reservations are next to a Public Boat Ramp. So I’m not feeling security will be overly great.

Probably a silly idea, and only for if no good lock ideas pop up (as I don’t have a good idea short of drilling a hole in it and installing some kind of lock).

However, if nothing else comes up, and banking on the possiblity of any thief being (1) stupid, and (2) just a potential theft of opportunity, put down an outdoor throw rug runner over the top of that spot on the floor running most of the length of the boat.

I am envisioning an outdoor runner that is long but narrow. My guess is someone would be just peaking, and if they don’t notice an easy opportunity, probably would not know or think to check if there is in floor storage under the through rug. Also, if a longer runner, they would be most app to peak under it at either of the two ends, and your in floor storage would be more in the center. Thus, even if they peak, they would most likely just see your normal floor vs. the in floor storage door.

Again, just a diversionary idea if no good lock ideas come up.

Was wondering the same thing, as soon as the boat shows up (on order) I’ll be doing this. Lots of marine hatch locks out there so dimensions and configuration shouldn’t be a problem. Also need to secure the motor, troller and Power Poles with anti-theft nuts to keep the honest thieves away.

Unfortunately ,a lock is only going to keep out honest people out . If a thief wants something they will not have an issue using a crowbar or something and do additional damage . If it were me I would rig up some kind of loud alarm device and hopefully scare them away and attract attention to them . If there is wifi at the slip they make wifi security cameras now .I use the Amazon Blink system . If there is no wifi ,a miniature trail cam may work . I know this isnt the question you asked , but having grown up in the area I did, a lock will only make it worse .

Has anyone been able to find a locking kit that would make my Center Toon Storage area lockable? Im headed to the coast and my Dock reservations are next to a Public Boat Ramp. So I’m not feeling security will be overly great.
What of value would you store in the center toon ? If so remove it (wasteing more time figureing out how to protect things)

At least for me, keeping a couple hundred $$ of rods in there so I don’t have to lug back and forth to the marina (I’ll be slipping the boat). I think part of it too is just having peace of mind, that is worth it’s weight in gold. Every time I leave the boat whether it be in its home port or traveling to new distant lands, a lock will provide a false sense of security and allow me to worry about other things. I have no preconceived notions a little lock will keep a determined thief out.

Locking the center storage is about like me locking the doors, glove compartment or center console in my ragtop or open Jeep. It tells people you have something valuable it it. They are going to tear it up to get inside. Now, you’ve not only lost what’s inside, you have a vehicle to repair. If it’s that valuable to you, don’t leave it accessible to the public. Just my advice, and I charge what it’s worth.

Interesting perspective. I have buddies who have had their ragtops shredded, big bummer. So what is the value of a lock then? In what cases is one worth employing, car house or boat? I’d hate to cut holes in my boat hatches if the prevailing wisdom or experience is it just leads to broken parts in addition to stolen items. That would be salt in the wound!

Locking the center storage is about like me locking the doors, glove compartment or center console in my ragtop or open Jeep. It tells people you have something valuable it it. They are going to tear it up to get inside. Now, you’ve not only lost what’s inside, you have a vehicle to repair. If it’s that valuable to you, don’t leave it accessible to the public. Just my advice, and I charge what it’s worth.

Having told my daughter for years to not lock her Soft Top Wrangler for the very reasons you have mentioned causes me to seriously rethink this idea. However laying a carpet runner over the storage hatch is a worthy alternative.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Back