Master battery cutoff switch...

lawaustin

Reaction score
I recently bought a used SSRX and was really surprised it didn't have a battery cutoff switch. One of the first things I did was install one. It's always difficult drilling that 1st hole in a bulkhead that is exposed. I did it and dressed it up as much as I could with stainless hardware. I was disappointed a cutoff switch wasn't mandatory on newish boats.

Attachments

• IMG_20230927_105838828_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230927_105838828_HDR~2.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20230927_105813514.jpg
    IMG_20230927_105813514.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
It's an optional item

Just a matter of how the original owner optioned up the boat.

Just a dumb question, but why do you think it should be mandatory to have a cut off switch?
Note, I added it to my build, but only because I felt it was a cheap option in case I’m not in my boat for a couple weeks to prevent battery drain.

Mandatory for the reason you stated, in case the owner isn't around his/her boat for a period of time and the battery drains. For the price of a few dollars the manufacturer of any boat could install one to help the owner avoid a major inconvenience.

I have a couple of old cars and have installed battery disconnect knobs on them to prevent battery drain.

Truthfully, I’ll answer it like many times I’ve seen that comment. If Bennington installed everything that everyone thinks they should as “stock”, you’d probably price out 50% of your buyers. Better fishfinder, better lighting, nicer steering wheel, nicer stereo, etc…

Back