Max RPM on a Yamaha 9.9LPB

brancky3

Reaction score
Our lake has weird boat restrictions. We bought the biggest we could - an 18' SLX with a Yamaha T9.9LPB engine. It's perfectly fine for us and it gets up to around 7mph (lol) but it never gets past 2200rpm. Reading online specs tells me this engine should be around 5000-6000RPM... Should I be worried? We only have around 9 hours on it so far.

Welcome to the world of small motors and slow cruising. We have a 20 hp and get 10mph ... ;)
Your def. low in the rpms. Here’s a rpm chart
https://www.rubexprops.com/boat-propellers/rpm-range/?make=Yamaha
Right, but this is the prop the engine came with and I had no options to select a different one when I ordered the boat. I just wanted to make sure the engine isn't lugging in a danger zone.

On second thought... my tachometer might not be calibrated properly. I'll check that this weekend.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m not sure there’s many options for our motors ... I’ll have to see what’s on mine.

Yeah, I’m not sure there’s many options for our motors ... I’ll have to see what’s on mine.
I checked the tach and it is set on '6p'. According to the Teleflex manual it should be set to '3p' instead. I'll set it tomorrow but it should be normal after that.

Back