Mercury Announcement 2/11/2021

Jack M

Reaction score
1612106889988.png

Here are some rumors

Thanks for flagging this for all of us Jack! Looking forward to their big announcement.

So you can have 4 600hp instead of 5 450R motors. The turning lower units and 2 speed transmission are a game changer.

Last edited:
So the lower unit turns, but not the engine.
Just like my inboard/outboard!!!
:D
I have been way ahead of my time and didn't even know it!
LOL!

So the lower unit turns, but not the engine.
Just like my inboard/outboard!!!
:D
I have been way ahead of my time and didn't even know it!
LOL!

That was my initial thought after seeing that portion of the video: this is, in essence, an externally mounted I/O...which is utterly amazing.

Mercury just planted themselves as the Lamborghini or Ferrari of the marine motor world.

It's been only 1 year since Volvo-Penta kicked off the manufacturing of 7 Marine outboards under their ownership...and now 7M is gone forever.
Buyout (eliminate) your competition. Big business does it everyday.

Buyout (eliminate) your competition. Big business does it everyday.

They were citing reasons for clean/green initiatives:

7Marine1.png

Volvo Penta to stop the sales and production of Seven Marine engines | Boating Industry

Probably due to Sweden's harsh deadline for emissions reduction regulations:

7Marine2.png

Sweden’s Climate Act and Climate Policy Framework - Swedish Environmental Protection Agency (swedishepa.se)

...as well as the European Union studies (and subsequent/potential mandates) for emissions and noise reductions for watercraft (which they also include the USA and rest of the world in their case studies, so they likely threaten European Union-based marine companies with strict penalties if they attempt to use the USA or country that they classify as "rest of the world" for any type of marine manufacturing):

Consolidated TEXT: 32013L0053 — EN — 28.12.2013 (europa.eu)

EUROPA - IA Recreational Craft engines - Executive summary EN - FR - DE (psu.edu)

Back