Mercury Smartcraft Gauges

Michiman

Reaction score
For those of you with the Mercury smartcraft gauges, I'm hoping you can share your experience with regard to the "tilt" meter. Leaving the dock on my maiden voyage, I thought I was trimmed all the way down because the trim read "0". However, when I went to take off the bow went up quite high and the prop started to ventilate. I stopped and trimmed it down more, much to my surprise! 

My first assumption was that the trim gauge didn't work but later when I was trimming it all the way up it did move from "0" well up past "9". However, the engine moves a great deal while in the "0" range, which I am not at all used to. With my prior boat, if the engine was going up or down, so did the gauge needle. 

Question: Does your "0" have substantial engine movement before it reaches "1"? Again, if I'm on the high end of "0" I can't even take off. I have to continue to trim down to the low end of "0". Not good in my opinion. 

Do you just have the 2 large Smartcraft gauges, SC100 tach and speedo?

It's been quite awhile since I did mine, but I think calibration of the trim and trailer ranges is performed in the CAL2 menu, specific to the boat/motor combination.

I have a MercMonitor gauge in place of the speedo now, which may be somewhat different.

Hey Tom, yes I have the two gauge set-up which I believe is the SC100. Kind of annoying that you can pay so much money and still have to do your own calibration. Seems like between the outboard manufacturer and the dealer they could get the job done and done accurately.

Thanks for the response. I guess I'll have to dive into the instruction manual next time I'm on the boat.

Hey Tom, yes I have the two gauge set-up which I believe is the SC100. Kind of annoying that you can pay so much money and still have to do your own calibration. Seems like between the outboard manufacturer and the dealer they could get the job done and done accurately.

Thanks for the response. I guess I'll have to dive into the instruction manual next time I'm on the boat.

Pretty sure my dealer did mine as Mercury has no way of knowing what the trim range is as a percent of total travel. They should at least give a conservative default value that's useful though. My boat is all covered up on the lift, but I'll sniff around and see if I can figure it out.

By the way, EVERY Verado owner should sign up for membership on www.veradoclub.com. They are fantastic with answers to specific questions, including ones such as this one. The paid membership actually gets access to certified techs who monitor the board. Good stuff.

Tom, thanks again for the tip. I'll sign up immediately.

Back