Mold on blue bimini

Stowaway

Reaction score
Any recommendations for removing mold from underside of blue bimini top? Material is stock from Bennington, about 5 years old and in good shape. I've used spray mold removers (contain bleach) on white canvas but worry about fading on blue.

Thanks...

You can machine wash on a gentle cycle using Woolite, but once the mold has spread it will always have a little pattern discoloration on the underside. The topside should look good. You can also take the top off and spread it out on your driveway and brush it down with a vinegar/water mix. That worked pretty well on our mooring cover. I think 303 will help it from coming back and spreading any more. I'm pretty sure Bennington tops are made by Tumacs using Surlast fabric. Here's a link to the "care" section on the Surlast website. http://www.glenraven.com/surlast.php?lang=en

Last edited by a moderator:
Try a magic eraser, and then if stains remain afterwards place the cover, mold stained side up, out in direct sunlight. Direct sun should fade the marks pretty well.

Would be interested in knowing what you used and if it worked. We are having the same issue with our Bimini top.

For those that have taken it off was it difficult to get back on?

Try this: http://www.overtons....ld&merchID=4005 and I've also done the top in the washing machine and the only thing that wouldn't come out were the stains from the dirt dobbers.
Is that also the best stuff to use on mold on the seating itself? I have several areas where there are some 'dots' on what looks like faint mold areas on the tops of the seat backs....like where people would have their arms laying on as they are sitting in the seats. Normally that Star Brite Mildew Cleaner works great nut even that won't touch it. Anyone have any ideas on treating that?

Would be interested in knowing what you used and if it worked. We are having the same issue with our Bimini top.

For those that have taken it off was it difficult to get back on?
Difficult, no, cumbersome yes, 2 people make it much easier.

Is that also the best stuff to use on mold on the seating itself? I have several areas where there are some 'dots' on what looks like faint mold areas on the tops of the seat backs....like where people would have their arms laying on as they are sitting in the seats. Normally that Star Brite Mildew Cleaner works great nut even that won't touch it. Anyone have any ideas on treating that?
I've used magic erasers (GENTLY !!) to remove these. Just make sure sponge is moist, and easy does it ..... don't grind it on the seat. Then a shot of 303 protectant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bimini is easy with 2 people as Smitty stated.

Back