Mooring Cover Was Great!

Spoiledrotten

Reaction score
My wife and I just got back from Smith Lake in Alabama. Beautiful lake. It was supposed to rain most of the week, but we managed to have fantastic weather with exception of one afternoon. We spent most of that particular day on a little sand bar that we found. About 2:00, we noticed a clap of thunder, and the clouds beginning to thicken up. We started heading back to dock, which was quite a distance away from us. The storm was moving much faster than our little 90 HP Yammy would push us. When we started feeling the wind and rain, I pulled over to an empty boat house, and fought the winds and blowing rain to get my boat secured to the dock cleats. I quickly installed the mooring cover and poles that I had, just by luck, taken with us that day. The rain, wind, and waves were pounding us. I finally got the cover over the boat. There we sat for a little over 2 hours. It was really rough, but I was so thankful to have that cover. It kept us out of the elements very nicely. 

Nice when things turn out that way! That sounds like one heck of a storm...

It was. I got the port side bow tied off, but the wind was blowing so hard, it was trying to pull the boat straight out. I had to put the boat in reverse, turn to port, and get the motor to pull the stern around for me to grab it and tie it off. It was quite the ordeal. But it's an experience in the record book, now. 

Good thing you found that dock to tie off to. Glad you guys and the boat are ok.

I wasn't sure that I could just pull up to someone's dock, but was later told that "seeking refuge" is acceptable. 

I wasn't sure that I could just pull up to someone's dock, but was later told that "seeking refuge" is acceptable. 

Yup, that would be correct! From the sounds of it, you wouldn't have wanted to be on open water during that storm, regardless. 

Back