More new Mercs - 4.6l V8 250/300

TomS

Reaction score
Mercury said the new 3.4l V6 175-225 announced in Miami was a game changer, which is true, but the real question was when they said that was "just step one in 2018". Apparently 4.6l V8 is the answer, just wow ...

Mercury 250/300 V8 outboards

Even a "Racing 250R and 300R" version

Very cool!

And then there is the new Yamaha XTO Offshore 425hp V8 5.5l but it weighs over 950# !!

And then there is the new Yamaha XTO Offshore 425hp V8 5.5l but it weighs over 950# !!
Pretty cool stuff in the horsepower wars but at 950lbs I think I'd stick with twin 250's and have 75 more horses at about same weight.

I believe the Mercs are only ~520#, much less than even a Verado @650+, so twin Merc 300R's would be about the same :cool:

That Yamaha is for big heavy offshore center consoles (bigger prop diameter and gearcase) so will be huge seller in that space where the weight isn't such a big deal. Midrange torque, fuel economy, trolling/drift, ease of service (in water gear lube changes!), saltwater corrosion resistance, all matter there much more than top end speed. Think fishing "battlewagons" with outboards instead of diesels.

Well, it's run by a Yamaha dealer, so I'm sure they are.

The problem for Yamaha at the moment is getting enough engines to meet the demand. If you didn't forecast your needs as an OEM (such as Bennington does) or distributor, you might not get it for awhile.

Yamaha 425HP XTO Sound

Listen to that Yamaha V8 beast when he nails the throttle at the beginning of the video, sounds like NASCAR :)

Might be time to consider that Pursuit a little more Tom!!!

Nah, that engine wouldn't tempt me at all. You'd need to be 35'+ to handle twins with those puppies.

Back