Motor hits ski tow bar

mcook

Reaction score
I bought a new 22ft tri toon with a 200hp Yamaha last year and the motor hits the tow bar when trimming all the way up. I’ve been working through this with the dealer but wondering if anyone else had this problem

1646305873615.jpeg

Ask your dealer about an upgrade to a Turbo Swing .
Jeff's Pic .

1646307693111.png

You beat me to it Jack. Ha, ha!

Switching to a Turbo Swing will eliminate your particular issue mcook. A Turbo Swing will also be rated for more stress than that particularly ski tow bar as well, so technically safer and better for tubing. Finally, it is a simple installation: bolts onto the transome motor support bolts/bracket.

We went the Turbo Swing route back in 2017, and as you can see from the picture above, its a nice out of the way set up. We really like it ourselves.

Here are a couple more angles of what it looks like on the back when in the water:

E9722DCB-5538-45C2-A30D-8A4E4817C6F4.jpeg 80EFE1BD-E2A1-4CE8-9702-B0E2A32BA290.jpeg 820CADB1-BFDA-4881-934E-F4C09C01745C.jpeg

Thsee pictures are simply inspiration for tubing:

967D9E45-5D34-4B3F-AD4D-5F5E542048A8.jpeg 07F7D274-F342-4031-B149-C7B0062652DE.jpeg 2B5AB78D-9E76-4BA3-AA2E-278D6DC416A7.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought a new 22ft tri toon with a 200hp Yamaha last year and the motor hits the tow bar when trimming all the way up. I’ve been working through this with the dealer but wondering if anyone else had this problem

View attachment 32064
If you decide not to go the Turbo swing route is there a larger tow bar they can replace your current one with?!?

Thank you guys, that is interesting. My issue is that this tow bar was installed when I bought the boat and the first time I put the motor up I cracked the cowling because it hit the tow bar. They are giving me a new cowling but they’re saying they don’t have a tow bar tall enough for the motor to go under in full trim up position. I find it hard to believe that is the case as this motor is one of the options to choose on this boat. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation with their boat new from Bennington.

If you decide not to go the Turbo swing route is there a larger tow bar they can replace your current one with?!?
Originally the dealer said yes now they are saying no and that they will put a trim limiting switch on, which I don’t really want because it does not pick the motor up completely out of water.

Originally the dealer said yes now they are saying no and that they will put a trim limiting switch on, which I don’t really want because it does not pick the motor up completely out of water.
I wonder if Yamaha changed the cowling design (higher) after the original designs for the tow bar?

Thank you guys, that is interesting. My issue is that this tow bar was installed when I bought the boat and the first time I put the motor up I cracked the cowling because it hit the tow bar. They are giving me a new cowling but they’re saying they don’t have a tow bar tall enough for the motor to go under in full trim up position. I find it hard to believe that is the case as this motor is one of the options to choose on this boat. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation with their boat new from Bennington.
Yamaha has recently made some changes, so the idea above is a good possibility.

Also, the motor size capability is entirely based on hull design. I say that for the following reason: Your issue might also be due to your particular model, layout and/or length of tritoon. Just speculation on my part. However the longer boat and higher up models (L, R and Q’s) do offer more variety of tow bars, pylons or turbo swings with different layouts.

Thus, it might be that yes, they can put the 200HP Yamaha on the back, but it is not ideal IF paired with the available tow bar for that particular boat, but if you were on a bigger and/or upgraded model or layout, you could have other options that would better accommodate a larger size motor cowl.

Regardless, I can imagine some real frustration - particularly when the cowl cracked. Glad they are taking care of that for you, and offering up an option (even if not an ideal solution). Given what they have told you, counter their solution with the proposal to exchanging the tow bar towards the turbo swing. Since the Turbo Swing is an upgrade, you might have a difference in cost to pay if they are agreeable to your counter proposal. You’d at least have full range of motion with motor trim for getting it out of the water, and it would be out of the way of your aft deck.

Switching to a Turbo Swing will eliminate your particular issue mcook. A Turbo Swing will also be rated for more stress than that particularly ski tow bar as well, so technically safer and better for tubing. Finally, it is a simple installation: bolts onto the transome motor support bolts/bracket.

We went the Turbo Swing route back in 2017, and as you can see from the picture above, its a nice out of the way set up. We really like it ourselves.

Here are a couple more angles of what it looks like on the back when in the water:

View attachment 32066 View attachment 32067 View attachment 32068

View attachment 32069 View attachment 32070 View attachment 32071
I even gave you credit for stealing your pic .

I have a 22' with the same motor and don't have any issues with the tow bar.

Attachments

• IMG_0628 (1).jpg
    IMG_0628 (1).jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 74
Would motor mounting hole make a difference?

Would motor mounting hole make a difference?
That's what I was wondering, though his towbar is not mounted on the deck. Looks like because he doesn't have the extended deck.

If it is already rigged for best performance, changing mounting hole would change performance.

View attachment 32066 View attachment 32067 View attachment 32068

View attachment 32069 View attachment 32070 View attachment 32071
Do you use a booster ball with that Super Mable since your towbar is so low to the water ?

Do you use a booster ball with that Super Mable since your towbar is so low to the water ?
Kind of funny in a way. We got a booster ball towards the end of our 4th summer, as many say it really improves tubing. However, I didn’t bother trying it out at the end of that season. And, well…last year on our 5th season the boat was down all season for electrical repairs.

Honestly, tubing has never been a big problem without it. Once we get going, the rope is above water and fine 99% of the time as we are pulling teens and adults that want to go somewhat fast. With our 200HP, rope tension is a non-issue with quick hole shot.

On the rare occasion we have a younger kid(s) on it wanting a slow paced pull, there have been occasions of water splash from rope drag in the wake or motor rooster tail. Not sure if it will improve all tube outings, but I certainly think the booster ball will help out in the slower tubing occasions. However, I have not had an opportunity to try it out. So…the booster ball has been sitting on a shelf for over a year now.

I have a 22' with the same motor and don't have any issues with the tow bar.
Interesting, could you find out the specs on that tow bar and who made it? I have to imagine that Bennington does not make the tow bars. Like I said in my post I have been told there isn’t a tall enough one available, which doesn’t seem to be the case with yours

Back