Motor is cavitating

Woorly

Reaction score
I bought a 2275 GFS this year with a Yamaha 250 SHO! Great motor and really likes to run.  This weekend I had a decent sized group of friends on board and found out that the motor kept cavitating as soon as I would reach plane, even with the motor all the way down.  The motor is mounted to a 20" transom on the bottom hole, so there is really no way to put the motor down any further.  Anybody have any ideas on how to keep this from happening?

Less People?

Move some guests to the stern.

Most all of the adults were in the middle to back of the boat, kids were in front.  Hard for me to beleive that there wasnt enough weight

in the back.  Would propping the boat differently change this or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
A different prop might help a little.  We ask so much out of our pontoon/tritoon boats--light load, heavy load, heavy fuel load. 

Despite all we do to get the motors setup right, sometimes the height of the motor, the prop that's on it and the way the weight's spread throughout the boat don't mesh. 

The last resort would be to put a hydraulic jack plate on the boat where you could raise and lower the engine at will.  But they put untold pressure on your transom as they lengthen the boat--one that's already got a heavy motor mounted on it.

I agree Bama. I set mine to go fast with just me and maybe another. When loaded with people im going to be cruising. When tubing, 40 mph is WAY too fast in my opinion.

Good way to look at it Jared.

What prop are you running?

Im running a silverado 14.5 X 17P.  I have a lot of weight on the boat already as there are 5 batteries and a 112# minnkota trolling motor.  With 2 adults and 2 children it will rev up to 6400 RPM.  Does that sound about right or could I go a little bigger?  Also, does anyone have any experience with the four blade props?

Last edited by a moderator:
According to yamaha Web you should be running 5000-6000 rpm. You should try the salt water series 2 prop. 15.5 X 17 p.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back