Motor set up 2550 rcw

ronfl

Reaction score
OK first couple times out with the 2550 rcw with the optimax 150 and lifting strakes. Motor is a bit over propped and I'll try a 13 P (currently a 15P) and see if I can gain the 600 to 700 rpm missing from top end. Another issue I seem to have with 6 adults on board is cavitation with very very very little trim. I can barely trim the motor at all and the prop is out of the water? When pulling a tube I have to have the trim bottomed out when turning or cavitation occurs? Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Move a bunch of people to the stern.

Moving people is the right answer if you only have problems with unusual loads. If you are having trouble with your normal passengers (for me that would be my family) and no extra items you may want to consider having your engine lowered one mounting hole.

When you drop the pitch, the water will stay on the prop longer and ventilation will improve.
Meaning lowering the mounting position one hole?

Moving people is the right answer if you only have problems with unusual loads. If you are having trouble with your normal passengers (for me that would be my family) and no extra items you may want to consider having your engine lowered one mounting hole.
Seems like I have the problem no mater how many people I have on board. Even when it was just my daughter and I it would cavitate with just the slightest adjustment of the trim. When towing a tube I have to leave the trim bottomed out or it does it with just a slight turn. My 2275 never did that and it doesn't seem right. How much of a job is it to drop the motor down a hole?

Moving the motor down one mounting hole is an easy job IF you have a way to support the motor, as in a cherry picker, or come-along attatched to an overhead beam, etc.

It's just the 4 bolts on your transom.

I can't imagine your local marina or dealer would charge much to do it.

Last weekend as I was sitting in a cove kicked backed in my recliner I noticed a new Q with a 250 SHO in front of me. The power head was just barely above the water and anchored close to him was a Brand X boat with a regular 250 Yamaha. The prop on this one couldn't have been more than 6" under the water. I know the high mount wasn't right but the Q seemed too low. Steve

Last weekend as I was sitting in a cove kicked backed in my recliner I noticed a new Q with a 250 SHO in front of me. The power head was just barely above the water and anchored close to him was a Brand X boat with a regular 250 Yamaha. The prop on this one couldn't have been more than 6" under the water. I know the high mount wasn't right but the Q seemed too low. Steve
So when sitting and trim bottomed out with fuel and two adults how far under the surface should the prop be? With 5 or 6 on board I can't trim hardly at all.

While underway at WOT and trimmed to the best performance, the cavitation plate should be level with the water. You really can't tell just sitting there.

I think your cavitation plate should be a couple of inches below water, i saw a video on here showing this, but can't remember the topic title.........

Edit: you must type faster than me Carl :)

Actually slower on my tablet.

While underway at WOT and trimmed to the best performance, the cavitation plate should be level with the water. You really can't tell just sitting there.
...Still working on the WOT because I can't get the RPM over 4800 with the current prop on the optimax. After I change prop I'll try some of your advice! New boat ( to me) so it may just take some time to learn it's personallity! Thanks

Hard to see the plate from the boat when running WOT. A lot of water in the wake and the plate is very difficult to see. I'll have a friend ride along side and see if he can see it from his boat?

You don't need WOT just at cruise speed is fine to see it.

You don't need WOT just at cruise speed is fine to see it.
I'm going to try and position my GO PRO camera to see if I can film when running?

So when sitting and trim bottomed out with fuel and two adults how far under the surface should the prop be? With 5 or 6 on board I can't trim hardly at all.
How the boat sits at a dead rest has nothing to do with the proper height of a cruising motor. Like has been said before, at a moderate cruise or WOT, you should be able to look down and easily see the anticavitation plate.

I don't know that that is always true on all pontoon/tritoon boats. My boat performs exactly as expected and is sitting 1 notch or 3/4" above the lowest point on the transom. And all I can see is water being thrown everywhere. I cannot really see the plate.

When I trim my boat to 3/4 on the trim gauge and get over 30 mph, you can feel the hull lifting and I like it. But if I try to go into a fast tight turn, minor ventilation will be experienced. I just trim the engine a little.

Engine height and propeller decisions should be left up to a dealer that has setup experience. But if you're experiencing ventilation at anything less than 1/2 trim (up), I would think your motor needs dropped a notch. Then give the full throttle run a try. I would think a different propeller would also be warranted.

It's really up to the selling dealer to make the changes and get a new boat performing right. You paid too much for your boat to not have it performing to 100% of its potential.

Back