Motor up or down?

Goodnt

Reaction score
When docking the pontoon and not using for a couple weeks, is it better to leave the motor trimmed up so entire lower unit is above the water or leave it down in the water? I have a 40 Merc. My old motor was left down in water and lower unit became scaled white. I have heard pro's/con's. Appreciate any advise. Thanks,

We always put our Yami up.

1. No algae buildup

2. No worry of "things" going into water intake and clogging it up somehow.

3. Keeps it looking nicer

I trim my 4 stroke down far enough that the skeg is just out of the water, but it lives on a vertical boat lift 100% of the time. If you're going to leave it trimmed up to keep it clean (good plan), be sure to give it a minute or so after you've trimmed it back down, just to let the oil go back where it belongs before firing it up. If it's a 2-stroke that doesn't matter so much.

Great reply's. It confirms that I am doing the right thing by leaving it up. Thanks!

I pull my up every time just so it stays clean.

Yup. Leave it up. But remember to use your "trailering bracket" to take pressure off the trim cylinders. All outboards have them, some of them operate differently then others. My Johnson had a lever on port side of motor. Trim up all the way, flip lever, trim motor down til it stops moving. My current Mercury has a different style lever but still on the port side. Same rules apply.

Which brings me to another questions. Why have that trailer support on the port side, when Johnson, Evinrude, Mercury have the engine mounted trim switch on the starboard side of the motor. Can speak about Honda, Yammie or Suzi's, but seems like it would be nice to have both features on the same side so you don't have to move from 1 side of hte motor to the other... Hmmmm.

Todd

My 90 Yamaha had it starboard side.

Same here on my 115. The boat is on a lift as well so I usually trim it up just enough to get it out of water. then trim down before I start to lower the boat back into the water.

Ours is on a Hi-Tide lift and the motor is down. Before the lift and the boat was in the water, the motor was up.

Back