Motor Well Cover

Ishoot308

Reaction score
I see when I do a search on here that Bennington and some handy boat owners have made some nice motor well covers for their single engine pontoon. Does anyone know of any aftermarket suppliers who are making covers for twin engine toons?? The stern boarding area is rather small on a twin and a cover dropped in place while boarding would seem to make a nice difference.

Thanks!

Dan

I know where you are coming from. That area cries out for covers. I doubt there is a plug and play solution however fabricating covers is very straight forward. Keep in mind that area is often times wet and exposed to the sun. For that reason I chose diamond plate. In that location diamond plate is very inviting.

Attachments

• IMG_1253.jpeg
    IMG_1253.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 53
Thanks for taking the time to post this!

Yes, most likely this will be a custom job by me. I am pretty handy and have access to all kinds of different panel. I never thought about just putting a cover directly on the toon like you did. I was thinking of keeping it even with the floor decking above. Maybe using some 3/4" or 1" HDPE that would slide into some channel I would mount around the perimeter of the cutout with a pin of some type to lock in place. Just looking to see and get ideas what others have done. The cover would need to be removable quickly and would only be used when boarding or offloading from the stern.

Thanks again!...just another idea to think about!

Dan

How does that impact tilting the OB? Can it travel all the way up to the stop?
It would need to be removed to raise the motor up all the way. That is why I said in my previous post it would only be used when boarding or offloading from the stern. I believe I could make it as a simple drop in piece that can be quickly removed and stored under the seat or similar. While my boat stays in the water all season, there is really no need to raise the motor all the way unless I am checking something on the prop so maybe I could leave it in place...though with my luck I would forget to remove it when raising the motor for whatever reason!!....That would be an expensive mistake!

Dan

Gotcha. Yeah a removable one, or one that can flip or hinge up and out of the way would be good especially for folks who have kids that tend to make frequent visits the first aid kit (like mine). I even found it once and left a not-so-pleasant gash.

But many including myself store their OBs in the fully-tilted position so ideally there's something that can accommodate the engine. Where's MacGyver when you need him?

One of the threads with the plate the O/B pivoted higher up on the mount and did not go into the well. My Merc 150 the pivot point is lower and the engine head goes into the well. The plate would have to be removable.

Back