Motor well safety cover

Trippernsc

Reaction score
I posted this on the Bennington owners page on FB, but thought I would share here. We spend a lot of time "tied up" with other boats, with people constantly walking across the backs of the boat. I have the ski pole out for people to use as support, as the space behind the swingback to walk through is small and it would be too easy for someone who has had a couple drinks to fall in the motor well (it happened to one person twice a few years ago). I built this well cover out of pressure treated wood and a trex top yesterday. It's heavy, but it sits flat in the well and fully supports someone's weight. Now I can move the ski pole out of the way. To pre-answer the question "can you completely tilt the motor all the way out with this in place?" - No, I can't. I would have to lift it out of position to complete tilt the motor up. But, I can tilt the motor up high enough to deal with shallow water. We have a lift, so it's very rare that I need to tilt the motor all the way up.

Attachments

• IMG_4361.JPG
    IMG_4361.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4359.JPG
    IMG_4359.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 50
I like it. Can you post another picture of the backside?

Excellent. :cool:

Taking orders? Kidding, not kidding. ;)

Oh well…:D Looking forward to reverse side pictures whenever you get the chance. Seem straight forward, and it sure turned out well for you. Nice job!

I’ve been thinking of doing something similar but your design is so much simpler and doable, at least for me. Thanks for sharing!

Is it actually secured in place somehow or is it just by its own weight?

I’ve been thinking of doing something similar but your design is so much simpler and doable, at least for me. Thanks for sharing!
I am thinking the same thing Steve. It could be an excuse to get together for a couple beers lakeside and crank out one of these for each our boats!?!

I am thinking the same thing Steve. It could be an excuse to get together for a couple beers lakeside and crank out one of these for each our boats!?!
Sounds like a plan, Jeff!

Thanks! Seeing how much wood support there is on the backside, I can better appreciate a) how sturdy it will be, and b) how its own weight works to keep it in place. Much appreciated.

Back