Mounting GPS On An S Series Helm

jman

Reaction score
Not a lot of room up there. Looking for any ideas and or solutions.

Thanks.

Jamie

I use a Garmin car gps. Comes with a suction cup mount. I mount it right above the steering wheel where the helm is curved and is essentially wasted space.

I use a suction mount too, but with an iPad mini as the GPS. It's on a G series helm, but would work just as well on an S. My suction mount is a RAM X Grip but you could do a similar RAM mount, with or without suction for mounting something more robust like Lowrance, etc. I've seen a handful of photos on here with nice units on RAM mounts

strawberry-11.jpg

IMG_1051.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I was on big enough water to need a gps! What's funny is I have no problem cutting holes in the house to add windows and doorwalls but when it comes to the boat I don't want to modify it! I would go for a suction mount personally.

Is a suction mount really strong enough in a bouncing boat? One fall might destroy an ipad.

Is a suction mount really strong enough in a bouncing boat? One fall might destroy an ipad.
Totally strong enough! At least for an iPad Mini, but I wouldn't worry about doing a full iPad. Probably wise to have it in something like a LifeProof case though for waterproofing as well as protection from a possible fall. You just need a smooth, clean surface and it will stay up through just about anything. The suction has a little lever you turn that really keeps it stuck on there. I've had mine out in some really, really rough water where I was just gunning through it and bouncing pretty hard and it never budged. You could always construct a little leash for the mount to be safe. 

Well  I was going to paste a link to a picture of mine but the da%^ forum won't let me paste it in from our own gallery.

Go over to the gallery and you'll see pics

gallery_5355_420_786364.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought I'd follow up on the question of whether a suction mount is strong enough. On the trip I just got back from, I trailered my boat 300 miles at 70+ mph with it on (without the ipad in it) and it didn't budge. Then we launched and travelled 300 more miles in the boat on everything from glass to very rough water with the iPad in it. And after that we drove it home another 300 miles. The mount never fell off one time. :)

I did improve on the setup a bit though. I bought a LifeProof nuud waterproof case for it so I feel a little better having it out all the time. I also bought the Navionics app with the US & Canada lakes but I neglected to let it finish caching before I took it out so I didn't use it. 

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

Back