Muskrats

Trippernsc

Reaction score
I learned a bit about muskrats this year. We keep our boat in a lift, but this year they were bringing the water way down (8' below normal). In the past we left our boat in the water over the winter when they did that without issue. About a month ago we had a nice day and went out on the boat and the fuel gauge had quit working. I looked in the back and saw a ton of clam shells in the motor well. I didn't know at the time what that meant. Took it to the shop to get that fixed when they informed me we had been visited by muskrats over the winter. They swim into the motor well and climbed up into the back end of the boat. Luckily, the under skin of the boat is covered, so they could only damage the wires where they come out to run to the motor or other sensors. They chewed up the fuel gauge wire and a couple underwater lighting wires. $838 in repairs, but I know that could have been so much worse! I did have them put a plate over the opening to the motor well so the opening is too small for a critter to swim in but water can still run out. Several people told me to have the wires wrapped in metal, but my dealer says that could interfere with the sensitive electronics for the simrad. We won't leave it in the water over the winter again.

I have all exterior wires wrapped in a "slinky" type metal wire protector. It has not interfered with the Simrads function...... The cove where we live has had a problem with muskrats when we first moved here. The neighbors got together and hired a local trapper and had 6 muskrats "relocated".......

I have all exterior wires wrapped in a "slinky" type metal wire protector. It has not interfered with the Simrads function...... The cove where we live has had a problem with muskrats when we first moved here. The neighbors got together and hired a local trapper and had 6 muskrats "relocated".......
Same for us. Everything’s covered or wrapped, including that water whole mentioned by OP. Never any issues with our electronics, Simrad, or anything else. So far (6 years under our belt) no muskrat issues on our boat, even though you’ll see them around the lake on occasion.

Back