Nasty looking Pontoons?

Sweetride

Reaction score
Why is it our new 22ss has real nasty looking pontoons? The first section from the front to the first weld is very nice shinny and the rest looks likes very dingy and weathered.. I did pay over 30,000 for it and if it were a car I would never have taken it from the dealer.. When I asked them about it they said it happens in transportation ( Minnesota ) The ones on the show floor never look this bad.. But its just from the first weld back? Is there anything to make my Bennington look like I just purchased it ((THIS YEAR?))

Lots of threads about cleaning pontoons. Here is one I wrote up

I can't stress enough to not get this stuff on anything other than then the pontoons, it will cause irreversible damage, which I leaned first hand.

Also this leaves a dull bit clean finish vs. shiney

Thanks,

Alex...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine has only been in the water for 5 days ,every weld( on the tubes) has turned "white " don't know if it is from the " Sharkhide " or what .

It's the nature of the beast. It's aluminum amd without propper maintainence it will always do what it's doing. Mine are just the opposite. The fronts are dull and the sides are still looking pretty good. Yes, they are expensive, but bear in mind. a car has a paint coat to protect the metal from the day it leaves the factory. A boat has bare metal exposed from day 1. Wish I had a better answer, but it's best I can say. Congrats on the purchase though, and PICS !!!!!

To use your car analogy, the toons are the wheels of your car, your car wheels are black and scuffed. I know it seems like they should be bright and shiny and spotless, since they are huge and people notice them right away, but they are just really big wheels! Ohhh, just gave me an idea, imagine if they were chromed!! Can you say bling bling! Do you have any pics to show us so we know whether it is abnormal or not?

Semper is correct. It is bare metal and unlike steel that can rust this is what you get with aluminum. I have had it on other pontoons. It doesn't seem to degrade the product. We already have a water line on ours and its racked and only been in the water once, The boat is used on clear spring fed lakes. We have no access to a cleaning station so I have the marina clean it once a year.

I have had the tendency to not enjoy things as much as I could because I find things that aren't perfect to worry about. It's a great product with a company that appears to stand behind its product. Very rare these days. Enjoy it, you have earned it.

There are some really good finishing jobs on this forum, if you want to do the work and pay for the cleaning products.

My 2012 24SSLX was built the end of May last year, and delivered to my dealer immediately.

The dealership keeps all of his boats inside a dark warehouse which he uses as a secondary showroom.

As soon as I took delivery of my boat, it was beginning to tarnish.

I bought a Porter Cable dual action polisher with a wool bonnet and White Diamond metal polish from Advance Auto Parts. With a little practice, I can polish both toons "shiny enough" in an hour or so. I find that getting all the aluminum oxide off the toons with lacquer cleaner is just too hard work, but it would be required to Sharkhide the toons. It's easiest to just polish the toons a couple of times a year, if required.

Back