Nav Lights issue

jbm007

Reaction score
New boat.

All of a sudden circuit breaker started popping on NAV  switch.

Bad bulb?

Anybody have any thoughts?

New boat.

Bad bulb?

A bad bulb (if incandescent) would usually mean open circuit, so would not pop the breaker. That usually means a hot wire shorted to ground somewhere. You could test first by removing the bulbs and measuring for +12v at the sockets.

If you unplug the wires at the bimini you can eliminate the anchor light.

And front navs should have connectors on bottom side. I'd unhook all nav lights then plug in one by one to see if one pops the breaker. At least it would narrow down the culprit. Also look for any screws under deck that may have chafed some wires to one of the nav lights. 

Last edited by a moderator:
New boat.

Bad bulb?

I'm in the same boat (pun intended) and found out the hard way being across the lake as the sun set. The dealer sent someone out to my dock to see if they could figure out the problem but after an hour or so pronounced that they'd have to bring it in and remove the under-skinning. You can try to troubleshoot as Semperfi suggests or let the dealer have a go with it. Good luck...

Michiman;

Did your dealer ever figure out what the problem with Nav lights is/was? 

Well, I was scheduled to take it in back in July but a couple of days before that my wife broke her ankle, resulting in me cancelling the appointment. As such, I'm now waiting until the end of the boating season, which up here in Michigan is just mere weeks away. Hopefully I'll be able to post what the problem was by early October.

Till then, we just make sure we're off the lake before dusk.

Michiman;

Did your dealer ever figure out what the problem with Nav lights is/was? 

Found out it was wired wrong at the factory.

Was found when I had the boat picked up to be winterized.

lake Norman fixed it.

What the policy on selling parts from a Bennington boat on the fourm?

Is there a garage sale thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
No selling on the forum, sorry.

Back