navigation app. for android

KLM

Reaction score
I got an android tablet with gps. Hope to use it for inland water navigation. What app. have people use it? I know the navionic. Have anyone use gpsnauticalcharts.com?

I use Back Country Navigator pro.

I've used BC Navigator as well. Good app. I use GPS Gaia and Navionics now. I use them on an iPad Mini, but I'm pretty sure they're also available for Android. 

IMG_0059.jpg

Thanks. Will check them out. Do any of these apps show water depth?

The only accurate water depth you could get would require a transducer, but Navionics comes pretty close on their maps. It's well worth the $50 cost to buy their app. I could navigate home in pitch blackness at Lake Powell using their app. 

BC Navigator has an overlay map with depth charts. I find them to be very accurate. Each overlay is state specific and costs $16 per state.

Interesting. I only ever used BC Navigator for hiking so I didn't realize it had that feature. Are their depth charts static to one water level or are they updated like on Navionics? On Lake Powell where it fluctuates wildly, it's nice to have it automatically update with fairly current conditions. Higher end chart plotters using Navionics record the underwater topography and crowdsource the data. Those people also often flag underwater rocks (whales), good fishing spots, etc. 

Screenshot with the Lakes Overlay active.

One other nice feature (not sure if navionics has it or not...) is you can download the maps so that you have all the detail even when you have no signal. But warning...they are big. My phone is 16gig with no memory card slot (Nexus5) and I can easily eat up 4 or 5 gig with maps.

That I know of, they don't update automatically or crowd source data. I only use depth charts to decide if I should be watching my depth gauge or not. Hazards to navigation are indeed marked on the lakes overlay for Lake Michigan. But there are no alarms that I know of. The maps do get updated periodically, but not like a crowd sourced data base. The lakes where I boat fluctuate a little. But no tides or reservoir type fluctuations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Yes, Navionics and GPS Gaia both have that download maps feature. I'd be hosed without it. I really like to be able to download the google satellite imagery in GPS Gaia so that I can spot out beaches and potential campsites without having to check every little nook and cranny of each side canyon. 

The Navionics app has a web app that lets you play with it before you buy it for your device or chart plotter. Kind of a fun thing to play with. 

http://webapp.navionics.com/

Too bad the BC Navigator is still an Android-only app. I wouldn't mind adding it to my kit. You'd think by now they would have ported that to iOS. 

Navionics Screenshot:

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-02-16%2Bat%2B11.40.27%2BAM.png

LOL...looked at my lake... good lord I'm jealous of you people!!!!!! Where you show feet, on my lake that would be centemeters...

Back