Need help on Engine selection

ICThruU

Reaction score
Hi all. I was able to test drive a 2013 2550 RCB that is loaded. This tritoon has the esp package and I was blown away with all the advancements that have come to the tritoon since I last entertained buying one. The options, floor layout, amenities were all top notch and I can imagine owning this boat as my 3 kids grow for years to come. Now we come to the only problem I had with the tritoon. When I had the throttle most of the way down and was traveling between 30-40 mph everyone on the boat had smiles ear to ear. However, if I put the rpm's into a range that would not suck up all the gas, (3000-3500 rpm) the speed dropped to ~20 mph. Today was hot and humid on Table Rock and at 20 mph no significant wind to cool us down. Also the fun factor/perception of speed went to yawns. In comparison I have been test-driving a 25 foot ski boat that at the same rpm gives speed in the 35 mph range that gives us the feeling of cruising fun. I hoping it all comes down to engine selection. The engine on the 2550 is a 225 hp Yamaha sho. I know that there are 250 hp, 300 hp, and 350 hp engines. After speaking with our salesman he stated that they could swap out the engine it that is all I need to be pleased with the boat. Here is my true dilemma, the gas tank on our current boat is less than 30 gallons and if I cruise at 35 mph for the entire weekend my family is out 100 dollars. If I have to run the 225 hp engine at 5000 rpm to just cruise around the lake, I will be out ~400 dollars a weekend. I think I need a 300 hp engine to achieve an average cruise speed that makes me enjoy my time on the water. (Especially if I can easily achieve it with the competing ski boat.) I know some people will say if you have to ask about gas you can't afford it. Well I think that's hogwash. I can afford it, but if I can just swap out the engine and achieve all I want and not raise my gas cost by a factor of 4, I will probably be a much happier boater. Thanks in advance for all input.

We own a Baja and a 24sslx with 150 the max mph is 42, and easy cruising 25-30ish. If you enjoy not talking to others bouncing around and going fast buy a FAST Boat. But if you want to cruise around with the entire family while and be able to talk without yelling and not spilling drinks its the only way!!! The Baja was going to be kept for my need to go fast however it has not been on the water once so far. Dont worry about speed my friend start truly enjoying boating with the people you love the most.

Buy as much motor that you can afford and don't worry about the fuel costs......If it needs some.......fill it up! People used to ask us about the gas mileage in our boat and the high top conversion van we used to own. I honestly don't know what kind of mileage we get on our boat and I used to tell them you don't buy a conversion van for it's gas mileage. As long as we're not slamming that throttle down skiing the whole day, gas mileage is not bad..........Get what you want the first time!

My buddy came by Saturday, as he was returning from the marina to fill up his tank. His Cobalt 272 (27' bowrider) with a 8.2 (502 cubic inch) engine and Duoprop gets about 2 mpg. Ouch! The boat cost well over $100K. And he was complaining about the cost of his weekend fuel.

You may want to look around to see how people use pontoons/tritoons. I have a 24' SSLX with a Yamaha F150 that tops out @ 40 mph. I don't run it that fast, however. Most tritoon owners cruise 20-25 mph relatively efficiently. Pontoon boat owners with smaller engines are running their boats to death and still only getting 15-20 mph.

Tritoons have a point of no return when it comes to speeds and horsepower. And that's about 40 mph. You can add 100 horsepower above my 150 hp motor and just get 3-4 mph more. The big motors do handle heavy loads and water sports better, however. But if you want to play, be prepared to pay.

If you want excitement, get an Allison bassboat with a Mercury 250 Racing motor--105 mph. Or any supercharged PWC--68 mph stock. If your family is into water sports, good used SkiNautiques or Mastercrafts are very affordable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for responding. I just worked three days of night shift and then tried to squeeze in boat testing before I headed back to work. I think I can frame my question a little better now that I have some sleep on board.

1). I am completely happy with the top cruising speed being in the 40s. I realize that even the Bimini top will decrease that by 2 to 3 miles an hour and I'm not truly concerned with what my TopSpeed will be.

2) We do need an ability to do water sports, primarily skiing and tubing because my children are younger. The oldest is only 11 years old. I have no need, at this time, to create monster wakes for wakeboard surfing.

3) What I do not think that I expressed very well yesterday was my question of "cruising speed." What I mean by cruising speed is a level of RPMs that is not reaching the high-end of gas usage. I'm only looking for around 30 miles an hour when I'm in mid rpm range. The difference for me is that it moves the wind and it does not feel to my family like we are poking along.

4). I realize that this is a subjective experience, and I reiterate that I feel the boat meets every other need. I don't typically need or want to be a speed demon I just want the trips around the lake not to be exhausting when we are in the middle of summer and in the heat.

5) I have been told that moving up to the 300 hp motor may give me as much as 6 to 8 mph which would put me almost at 30. I think that would work well, and it is been told to me that if I like to travel at ~30, I will consume less gas in the bigger horsepower motor that in the smaller one.

6) Some people love the heat and some people hate the wind. I know people that buy ski boats with the justification that they can close the wind shield and not get so much wind if they're behind the windshield. I like the wind and I want to cruise around the lake when we're not skiing or just floating in the cove. probably about 30% of the time.

7) I know that I'm trying to achieve the best of both worlds, but I feel we only have one thing left that would prevent me from buying the tritoon. If we don't have this, I'm afraid we would have to go with the ski boat and I would miss all of the other options of the pontoon.

Again thanks for your help.

If you go to Yamahas site they give gallons per hour rating for different rpm ranges of all their engines, I don't know if Merc or others do it but it sounds like you should check that out first.

Next I would look into getting an ESP boat with the 59 gallon center tube mounted fuel cell going with a larger engine like you are looking into would be a better match for your needs unless you don't mind filling up daily.

I have a 2013 2375GCW with elliptical toons it is rated for 150HP if it were rated higher I would have gone there. I have to agree with the others. Get as much horsepower as you can afford. Then you will never be disappointed and it sounds like that's what your needs are.

Sounds like you already made up your mind....go with the 300hp!!

I have a 2575 with a Yamaha 350. Mid range cruise is prob 30mph My guess is the 300 would be about the same with better fuel consumption.

Back