Need your thoughts-advice

Spoiledrotten

Reaction score
As most read from when I had my first Bennington, after about a month, I hit a submerged log with the prop, and tore up the prop and bent the prop shaft. The dealership changed the shaft and the prop. A year later, the gears chipped. I replaced the whole lower unit at that point. Now, I have a lower unit for a 2015 Yamaha F90 that was used for a year. The only thing wrong with it, is the gears. The shafts are good, and I don’t even remember seeing a scratch on the unit. I’m fixing to post it on CL and on a couple of local Facebook swap pages. The dealer said he would probably buy it from me, but I would likely get more from an individual. What should I asked for it?

Take what the dealer offers, its all done at this point, cash in hand. You waste so much time dealing with freaking yahoos from CL, plus they come to your place, no-no.

I agree with Matt. Take his money and be done.

Take what the dealer offers, its all done at this point, cash in hand. You waste so much time dealing with freaking yahoos from CL, plus they come to your place, no-no.

Exactly. Take the money and run. You might get lucky and find a decent buyer on CL but my experience has been nothing but headaches. People that will waste your time by calling and not showing up, people show and are actually casing your house or some dude that looks like Joe Dirt and wants to trade you stuff for a beat up 1968 Camaro that doesn't run. You won't get exactly what it's worth anyways so just take what you can and be done with it.

I'm guessing that it may take a while to sell on Craigslist due to needing a gearset. I did a quick internet search and a rebuilt F90 lower unit goes for around $1750 and a gearset from $300 - $500 or so from what I could find. With that in mind, I would see what the dealer would give me for it.

I’m with the rest, I’d just work it out through the dealer whether its a cash payout or barter I’d assume it’s the least headache and quickest route.

I hear to many bad stories about CL, I would go with the dealors offer if you consider it a fair one.

I've had great luck with Craigslist including selling our last benny and various cars and watercraft

I've had great luck with Craigslist including selling our last benny and various cars and watercraft

Me too. I've sold 4 Rv's, tools etc. with good results.
But on something like you're selling, I think I would dealer it and be done with it if you didn't feel you were being ripped off.

We've had a good experience selling stuff on CL. My 1st boat, my wife's convertible and another car, my daughter's motorcycle, furniture, and all kinds of crap before moving to NC. It wouldn't hurt to list it on that site or numerous other available sites for a while to see if you get any responses. What's the rush? Then if you're not successful then go with the dealer.

Back