New 23 SXP or G order

Walter Kurtz

Reaction score
Trying to find our dream boat during this Covid crisis has been difficult to say the least. Record sales and factory shutdowns depleted much of the inventory throughout the country. Sound advice from a few at the Club have led us to ordering & boat (thank you btw).
Guess we’ll be renting an ol denter for the kids to enjoy the Stuart sandbar over the next 8 weeks .
We are looking at either a 23 Swingback in either SXP or G models with the open arch.
Anyone have either model with the Ivory interior? I’ve seen a few boats with this color yet it’s not available on Bennington’s website build for the G series. Also the kicker sub/amp upgrade we’ve heard is average, but we’d prefer to still add it now so we have something rather than nothing. Any thoughts on having an audio tech install a better system later?
As far as the performance package goes, I’ve noticed the sealed strakes on the ESP center toon do not run the length of the toon. They stop halfway. Is there a reason why? I have seen smaller models with the strake installed the entire length of the toon.
We are leaning towards the new 4 stroke Mercury vs the Yammys. The 250 1.75GR on the SXP SPS+ or the 300 1.75 GR on the ESP G.
Just think the black outboard will match the panels/Lux blackout package really nicely. My only concern is it’s a newer motor (2yrs). Maybe they’ve ironed out all their kinks and issues? God knows every outboard company has them.

Thanks in advance for sharing your advice & experiences

I originally wanted a new V8 Merc but went with a F250xca instead for a couple of reasons. 1) Yam was much cheaper than the Merc, either because Benny is the #1 buyer of Yams in the US and has pricing power, or the dealer intentional priced the Merc higher to lead me to the Yam, 2) dealer stated he had a master tech for Yam on staff so a little convenience factor for maintenance and warranty and 3) F250 is about as tried and true as it gets in the industry and regarded as an excellent motor. The new Mercs are being lauded as the next best thing but not sure a lot of those motors have hit 500 hours yet to see how dependable they are.

Honestly based on performance numbers that are out there, the Merc is the way to go and I’m going to live with that regret but life is too short. I’m sure Yamaha is cooking up the next best thing but it will be years before they introduce it to the market and work out all the kinks.

Went with the 23SSBXP, dealer told me for what my use was going to be the additional $8k-10k for the G wasn’t worth it. Especially given I have to add another $10k of accessories on the boat once it arrives.

Good luck with your purchase!

Hi Walter, if your talking about the Stuart sandbar I think you are then we’re in the same neck of the woods. I live in Palm City. I have a 24’ S with SPS and a 200 which was the biggest available for an S at the time. Mine handles great down here. I have about 540 hours on my Yamaha and it has been flawless. I imagine you’ve been working with Charlie or Tommy at Seagate? Have you water tested anything yet?

congrats on your new purchase Bslewis great boat and even better warranty. With the 200 Vmax you’ll have plenty of power to do anything including zipping out to the sandbar. I’m guessing you might hit 40 mph with that sps hull. Did you get the Smokey granite/red boat or the other next to it?

Hi Walter, if your talking about the Stuart sandbar I think you are then we’re in the same neck of the woods. I live in Palm City. I have a 24’ S with SPS and a 200 which was the biggest available for an S at the time. Mine handles great down here. I have about 540 hours on my Yamaha and it has been flawless. I imagine you’ve been working with Charlie or Tommy at Seagate? Have you water tested anything yet?
Good morning Lakeliving This would be our 2nd Benny. Awesome boats. We’re in Palm City too. I know the boys at Seagate real well. I only deal with Vince for purchases. They’re all very knowledgeable but Vince is the man. Our first boat had a Yamaha and I seriously contemplated the Vmax for the added oomph but just couldn’t resist the new Mercs that Tommy is bringing in. Their tech has 8 years experience working with Mercs so this was a factor too. Not that I plan on having it in the shop lol. We picked the 23SSBXPA with the new 250 V8 Merc. It comes in 1.75 gear ratio so hoping to get a little more top end out of her. It’ll take 8 weeks but at the end of the day it’s all we want & then some

Hey there,

Just bought today the Bennington SX 23 premium with the Yamaha 200 Vmax any insight I should know about, Based in Palm city Florida
Hey there,

Just bought today the Bennington SX 23 premium with the Yamaha 200 Vmax any insight I should know about, Based in Palm city Florida
you’ll have a ton of fun on that boat & if you’re new to Tooning get ready. They are the best and most comfortable boats around. While all the center consoles slow and brace for wakes, you’ll cruise right over them without spilling your drinks. And you can drive right up onto the sandbar and hangout off the front of your boat.
congrats again awesome choice and the guys at Seagate are the best

Thank you Walter I did buy the one next to the smoky red until my wife saw the smoky red and then we switched to that one, so that’s the one we’re taking home . Vincent and Tommy have been the ones I’ve been dealing with great people seems to be a great company look forward to working with them in the future.

Attachments

• 0DFDBF22-FBE3-415A-9870-D20B18C233E0.jpeg
    0DFDBF22-FBE3-415A-9870-D20B18C233E0.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 31
Congratulations to both of you. Your boat looks nice BsLewis. You’ll sure enjoy it! Also, congratulations to you Walter on making a final decision and moving forward.

For me it would have come down to price and service convenience/confidence. I certainly lean towards the Mercury’s between the performance, and almost more importantly (because they really all perform well - particularly all these higher HP motors) because the main local dealer we were going to work with is a Mercury service center. Their tech’s are all Merc. certified, and it’s their bread and butter.

The convenience and increased peace of mind of being able to stay well maintained, serviced when there is a problem and consistently on the water is huge in my mind. Particularly where we are (Michigan). We don’t have the luxury of losing much boating time like you good folks down in Florida who can pretty much boat all year long.

Good morning Lakeliving This would be our 2nd Benny. Awesome boats. We’re in Palm City too. I know the boys at Seagate real well. I only deal with Vince for purchases. They’re all very knowledgeable but Vince is the man. Our first boat had a Yamaha and I seriously contemplated the Vmax for the added oomph but just couldn’t resist the new Mercs that Tommy is bringing in. Their tech has 8 years experience working with Mercs so this was a factor too. Not that I plan on having it in the shop lol. We picked the 23SSBXPA with the new 250 V8 Merc. It comes in 1.75 gear ratio so hoping to get a little more top end out of her. It’ll take 8 weeks but at the end of the day it’s all we want & then some
I bought mine when I lived in Michigan but they seem like a great outfit when I’ve been in there. In a bit of irony I live in Seagate Harbor here in Palm City so mine stays on a lift behind my house. That will be a nice setup with the 250. Congrats.

We’re in Rustic Hills & love our community of boaters. We usually do evening cruises back through Pine Tree Lane and Lighthouse Point. Will definitely look for you when we get back on the water

Back